• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DT-880's with laptop source

Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
665
Anyone have a setup that approximates this?

I'd like to know what kind of amp/soundcards any Beyerdynamic DT-880 owners use/prefer. If anyone uses these cans with a laptop or portable setup, what audio card/amp combos do you have and prefer? Thanks for all the input.
 
You're gonna need a good amp for the 880's. Are you looking for a desktop amp or something portable? What is your budget?
 
Portable, Sub 150.00

Eventuallly I will be changing things up, but i've been talking to some people over at headfi who seem to think the DT-880's will be pretty versatile, as long as they are amped. Just giving some different signatures depending on the type of amp used. I hope to get some ideas of how something like say a Cmoy 18v or PPA or pimeta will do.

Just as a note. I have no previous experience with any sort of amps, I've always used my computer and sony headphones. This will be my first major audio upgrade, and just want something that i'm going to enjoy, and be flexible for future upgrades. I'm not yet looking to find the be-all end-all of setups. Thanks ^^

-- sorry for the edits, anyone who maybe read the first posted versions, who knows what got left out. this is what I was trying to type in before i stopped being able to access the forum with firefox -.-
 
The Headroom MicroDAC/Amp stack looks good. The Porta Corda III/USB is an alternative.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

The problem with a lot of these USB-amps though is that they're driven through the Windows audio subsystem. A decent soundcard with ASIO support wouldn't go amiss. An amped Echo indigo is an option. I wouldn't say the unamped Indigo has enough power to drive the DT880 successfully. I have an Edirol UA-25 and a Focusrite Saffire, both are not exactly portable, especially the Saffire, but both are 'luggable'. I'd have to say though my laptop listening is pretty limited at this time: It's DAPs most of the way.

It would depend on your whole budget for soundcard and amp, and your portability requirements.
 
Full soundcard/amp budget is prefererd to be about $200 but I can definatley bump it to 250 or even 300 if my arm is twisted enough ^-^ (i'm figuring i'll probably fall at the 250 price point at the moment.)

I'm going to check out the cards and amps you've mentioned above

Edit:

-- In looking for an ASIO compatible card as mentioned above, I stumbled across this here: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/m...tNo=747199&sourcecode=s10142&promocode=ce0205 UA-1EX USB Audio Interface

how might you rank something like that?
 
Back
Top