DST changes??

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I had a guy tell me there is a change this year to DST, and that I should patch all my boxes?? Is this true? And if so, has anyone done it? And if so.... can you kinda let me know how ya did it?? :D

Thanks, QJ

I don't have the link, but MS has a few scripts that will fix this. I can post copies if you need them. I assigned them via GPO and it takes care of the Win2k machines.

$4K for a hotfix for 2k server?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: are they nuts??

2K is no longer supported so if you don't have an extended support contract for it then you're going to pay. They actually brought the pricen down to $4k. Microsoft also has detailed instructions for you to fix it yourself for free. Follow the link above.

Intelliadmin can fix it remotely fairly easily.
The demo only does three computers at a time, but that's how I did my 2k machines.
(most of my network is XP, and I used PsExec for those)

Intelliadmin can fix it remotely fairly easily.
The demo only does three computers at a time, but that's how I did my 2k machines.
(most of my network is XP, and I used PsExec for those)

Seconded. IntelliAdmin /quiet install FTW.

I was going to ask this and forgot about it. Anyway, is this how you admins are going about updating all your servers, or how are you doing it for 2003?

I was going to ask this and forgot about it. Anyway, is this how you admins are going about updating all your servers, or how are you doing it for 2003?

I run a WSUS server so I just approved the update for install on our Windows 2003 and XP systems. If you only have a few you can always just run the update manually.
Windows XP | Server 2003

The two bigest pieces are the Exchange and Outlook since they interact with each other with time/date specifics. As long as you haven't created any appoints for the period between March 11th and when DST normally starts you're okay. Just patch Exchance, Server 2003, and XP Pro before doing so.

The two bigest pieces are the Exchange and Outlook since they interact with each other with time/date specifics. As long as you haven't created any appoints for the period between March 11th and when DST normally starts you're okay. Just patch Exchance, Server 2003, and XP Pro before doing so.

Yeah, explain to me why we need another patch just for outlook on the clients b/c I don't get it?

This change has been basically my world for the past month.
so many systems to update, so many java updates, too many vendors putting out thier patches with 2 weeks to go, when they've had over a year to come out with them!

I figured I would make it even easier for people. Here are the scripts to update a Win2K box:

http://www.gregstiffler.com/scripts.rar

Just run the DST2007Update_Win2k.cmd file. It will update the timezone database in the registry and then run a VBS script to update the timezone registry key.

Yeah, explain to me why we need another patch just for outlook on the clients b/c I don't get it?

It's not a patch for Outlook. It's a tool that adjusts the times of the appointments during the extended DST period. Once you install the hotfix for Windows, all appointments between March 11th and April 1st will be off by 1 hour. You could move these manually if you wanted, but it's easier to run the tool to update them. There is also an Exchange tool that does the same thing on the server side, but apparently there is a risk that it will b0rk people's calendars. So, to be safe, it's better to run the tool on each individual machine.

What I did was send out an email to all the employees at my company on Friday that said that they all must leave their computers running when they go home for the weekend. They also must print out their calendars for the dates between March 11th and April 1st and put the times of their appointments in the subject field. Then we set our WSUS to install the hotfix to all the Win2K3 servers Saturday morning. Next, we set the WSUS to update all the client machines Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon I sent out another email to all the employees with a link to the tzmove.exe and step-by step instructions with screenshots. The entire process went VERY smoothly. Out of almost 100 people, we only had 5 who submitted service calls asking for help. Now I'm just working on getting the Win2K script installed on the few Win2K machines we have. Most of them are out in vehicles.

Not to mention the push to Blackberry devices. Although, we did it this way -- a user can cancel it up to 4 times, in case they're in the middle of typing or whatever. On the fifth time... It forces it.

Not to mention the push to Blackberry devices. Although, we did it this way -- a user can cancel it up to 4 times, in case they're in the middle of typing or whatever. On the fifth time... It forces it.

Yeah, we're doing Blackberries and Palms on Thursday. There are WAY too many systems that need to be updated...

There isn't a seperate Outlook patch, the Windows XP or Server 2003 patch affects Outlook. Outlook is affected by the problem specifically when Exchange 2000/2003 is involved and it has to be patched as well.

Yeah, we're doing Blackberries and Palms on Thursday. There are WAY too many systems that need to be updated...

Yeah, you're telling me. What an effect this retarded DST change has made to infrastructures everywhere! Such a pain.

If nothing else, DST should have been eliminated altogether. It's so useless anyway.

Biggest pain in the rear this week, most of the systems we can update from the BES, but we have 60+ users who have an older model (6000 series of some type) that need to do it manually (the BB dst2007 url). So need to update the group policy that prevents blocking of 3rd party apps, push that, they push a message to the users...

... on top of the Java updates for any apps, been a crummy 2 weeks with all of this.

Biggest pain in the rear this week, most of the systems we can update from the BES, but we have 60+ users who have an older model (6000 series of some type) that need to do it manually (the BB dst2007 url). So need to update the group policy that prevents blocking of 3rd party apps, push that, they push a message to the users...

... on top of the Java updates for any apps, been a crummy 2 weeks with all of this.

Yeah! We tried so hard to get as many people on the 8700 series as possible but we could only do so much, especially since many of our users are overseas. Grr... Then we had the help desk send this huge e-mail explaining how they know their blackberry was updated, blah blah... But yes, huge pain.

There isn't a seperate Outlook patch, the Windows XP or Server 2003 patch affects Outlook. Outlook is affected by the problem specifically when Exchange 2000/2003 is involved and it has to be patched as well.

I still dont follow. So exchange needs to be patched as well as 2003? I say this b/c our helpdesk sent out an email saying calendar appoitments would be off the next few weeks and there was nothing we could do about it. They pretty much explained it that outlook needs a seperate patch, which doesn't make snse to me.

I still dont follow. So exchange needs to be patched as well as 2003? I say this b/c our helpdesk sent out an email saying calendar appoitments would be off the next few weeks and there was nothing we could do about it. They pretty much explained it that outlook needs a seperate patch, which doesn't make snse to me.

I explained it in my reply to your post...

"It's not a patch for Outlook. It's a tool that adjusts the times of the appointments during the extended DST period. Once you install the hotfix for Windows, all appointments between March 11th and April 1st will be off by 1 hour. You could move these manually if you wanted, but it's easier to run the tool to update them. There is also an Exchange tool that does the same thing on the server side, but apparently there is a risk that it will b0rk people's calendars. So, to be safe, it's better to run the tool on each individual machine."

And yes, Server 2003 has to be patched AND Exchange needs to be patched AND XP has to be patched AND appointments need to be modified with the tzmove.exe tool...

Does this outlook patch need to be ran as Admin? if not im just going to email them with how to install it.

Also is outlook 2007 effected by this?

Looks like i just got our last app working.
pda syncing server was giving me issues.

what cracks me up is todays eWeek magazine was telling people to have a plan for updating apps. This should have been being preached 6 months ago.

So where is this tool that adjusts the times for appointments? Link?

You can find info about the tool at the links previously posted. I also gave you the name of the tool and last I checked, Google was not broken.

You can find info about the tool at the links previously posted. I also gave you the name of the tool and last I checked, Google was not broken.

Sorry, I've been with this thread since the beginning and I don't ever remember seeing post #2. D'oh. Thanks.

LATE Edit: I guess what I don't understand is why the outlook calanders have seperate times. You would think it could just pull/update from the system.

Back