DST change

binary digit

Limp Gawd
For all your sys admins out there. How are you dealing with patching for the DST change in america?

We did it all last weekend.

We had to do 4 steps for Windows based servers and workstations:

1. Patched all Windows 2000 and 2003 servers.
2. Patched all Windows XP workstations
3. Patch the Exchange Server
4. Ran the Outlook patch utility to fix up all mailboxes.

Sounds easy right? Well it took 7 of us 18 hours and of course there are 'known issues' that caused havoc throughout the night! We have a lot of servers!

When we fired everything back up the Blackberry Enterprise Server was not working...

Needless to say we are continuing to find issues. What a nightmare, so many programs, and vendors point fingers at each other for any problems that crop up.

Luckily all I don't have to deal with exchange or anything like that. Only the OS's. I manually patched my Servers (most of them 2000) and used WSUS to deploy the patch to the workstations.

Something that might have been overlooked (I just pushed patches for this last week).

"Problems Affecting Java Applications

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) stores rules about DST observance all around the globe. Older JREs will have outdated rules that will be superseded by the Energy Policy Act of 2005. As a result, applications running on an older JRE may report incorrect time from March 11, 2007 through April 2, 2007 and from October 29, 2007 through November 4, 2007.
"
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/USDST/

How come the DST change is so early this year? Sorry...I didn't read the news...May someone tell me why? Thanks in advance

Search for "Energy Policy Act of 2005"

Quoting MS DST change site: "Starting in the spring of 2007, daylight saving time (DST) start and end dates for the United States will transition to comply with the Energy Policy Act of 2005. DST dates in the United States will start three weeks earlier, at 2:00 A.M. on the second Sunday in March. DST will end one week later, at 2:00 A.M. on the first Sunday in November."

Back