DSR Laggy?

b00gjuice

Weaksauce
I've been experimenting with DSR and find it a bit laggy in the games I've tried, even at "1.2x." It's not a framerate issue because my fps are good, it just that something doesn't "feel" quite right. I have a 1440p display and mainly wanted DSR to sharpen games that don't offer good AA. I wonder if this tech is mainly for 1080p displays.

You really need to be less vague. What games are you talking about and at what settings? What framerates are you actually talking about here? Of course your pc is going to slow down in demanding games if your native res is 2560x1440 and then running DSR on top of that.

DSR at 2.25x with 1080p here (effective 2880x1620 downsampled to 1080p). No input lag from what I can feel across multiple games (Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3, Crysis 2+3, Red Faction Armageddon).

2x Gigabyte 970 G1 btw.

You really need to be less vague. What games are you talking about and at what settings? What framerates are you actually talking about here? Of course your pc is going to slow down in demanding games if your native res is 2560x1440 and then running DSR on top of that.

I tried these games: Borderlands TPS, Fable anniversary, Skyrim, Batman Arkham Origins. I was wondering if anyone else using DSR on Kepler GPU's is seeing any lag playing games. Now, when I play these games, the FPS is above appx 45 fps, but still don't feel quite as responsive as running in normal resolution.

I tried these games: Borderlands TPS, Fable anniversary, Skyrim, Batman Arkham Origins. I was wondering if anyone else using DSR on Kepler GPU's is seeing any lag playing games. Now, when I play these games, the FPS is above appx 45 fps, but still don't feel quite as responsive as running in normal resolution.
Well 45 fps would feel laggy to me if I was used to 60. Other than that not sure what else to tell you since DSR is working ok for me but I am on a 980.

Saw a post (not sure where anwymore maybe Guru3d?) of a guy do a test between his 670 and 970 using several different methods (downsampling, custom res, Gedosato, etc) and apparently using DSR hits performance of non-Maxwell cards much harder. Up to 75-100% more than Maxwell in some cases. It was brutal. From what I remember that gist was that the filter is the major cause and it appeared to be much better implemented for Maxwell.

Ok yeah 45 FPS would definitely be laggy. Hell even with Maxwell when I drop below 50 it becomes a lagfest.

i think it has something to do with directx. 120 fps in tf2 at 4k did not feel like 120 at 1080p, but when i used it in quake live it felt fine.

Don't forget it will also raise your frametimes, which can make 120fps feel like 60fps.

I have some stuttering action even though the FPS counter says 59.9/60. It's pretty obvious in Dishonored -- like the performance is suffering, but with GeDoSaTo, it's perfectly fine at the same resolution using any of the filters.

I have some stuttering action even though the FPS counter says 59.9/60. It's pretty obvious in Dishonored -- like the performance is suffering, but with GeDoSaTo, it's perfectly fine at the same resolution using any of the filters.
Hmm no issues for me in that game as it was actually the first game I tried at 4k.

Don't forget it will also raise your frametimes, which can make 120fps feel like 60fps.

how can it do that? frametime is directly linked to framerate. 120 fps = 8.3 ms frametime.

Last edited:
how can it do that? frametime is directly linked to framerate. 120 fps = 8.3 ms frametime.

It may depend on the engine then. BF4 at 80fps for me is 33ms frametime and feels laggy as shit. I have to use a frame-limiter to 60 fps then my frametimes go to 16.7ms.

It may depend on the engine then. BF4 at 80fps for me is 33ms frametime and feels laggy as shit. I have to use a frame-limiter to 60 fps then my frametimes go to 16.7ms.

does it do that with 200% resolution scale or other downsampling methods?

does it do that with 200% resolution scale or other downsampling methods?

Unfortunatley no. On this build I have used: 3x 7950s, 2x 7970x, a single 7970 GHZ edition, MSI 670, 780 lightning (overclocked to 1340core-- it was a beast videocard) a 970 at stock and at 1599core 8.1ghz mem.

I have had issue with all cards with BF4 and stuttering(frametimes). I have also had high framtimes with: COD ghosts, ASSassins creed 3 & 4, Far Cry 3 (stuttered like crazy),etc.

Stuttering and high frametimes are common on PC ports.

Last edited:
Saw a post (not sure where anwymore maybe Guru3d?) of a guy do a test between his 670 and 970 using several different methods (downsampling, custom res, Gedosato, etc) and apparently using DSR hits performance of non-Maxwell cards much harder. Up to 75-100% more than Maxwell in some cases. It was brutal. From what I remember that gist was that the filter is the major cause and it appeared to be much better implemented for Maxwell.

I believe this, I recently was playing GTA IV with GeDoSaTo at 5160x2160 and was having framerates in the 50's, with DSR with 2.00x the native resolution (which is lower than 5160x2160) My framerate was struggling in the low 40's to high 30's. This is with a 780ti btw

dsr + vsync is going to feel laggy, since dsr hits the performance.

Now, when I play these games, the FPS is above appx 45 fps, but still don't feel quite as responsive as running in normal resolution.
It might just be a ramification of seeing less pixel shimmering. Color transitions will be less abrupt and therefore might 'feel' different.

Are you sure it's not just a mouse sensitivity issue? You need to increase your mouse sensitivity when you increase resolution.

I've tested DSR on a few games and have had no issues.. Skyrim, Dota 2, Metro:LL. I'll try a few more games when I get home, feel like checking out Civ5, Shadow of Mordor and maybe a few others and I'll report back if I run into any issues, so far though everything is working fine. Although I do hope that Valve makes the Steam Overlay more compatible with DSR.

Are you sure it's not just a mouse sensitivity issue? You need to increase your mouse sensitivity when you increase resolution.

I've tested DSR on a few games and have had no issues.. Skyrim, Dota 2, Metro:LL. I'll try a few more games when I get home, feel like checking out Civ5, Shadow of Mordor and maybe a few others and I'll report back if I run into any issues, so far though everything is working fine. Although I do hope that Valve makes the Steam Overlay more compatible with DSR.

I use 2400 dpi but I'll try bumping it up and see if it makes a difference.

Back