DSR 4K vs 4k GPU issue

kahless

Weaksauce
I had been playing Witcher 3 at 1440p with 4K DSR enabled. I purchased a 4K monitor, and I assumed the FPS hit would be similar between the two. With 4K DSR I had around 98% GPU utlilization and about 55 to 60 fps. Just having an actual 4K monitor with No DSR, same graphics settings my GPU utlization is 70%-80% and my framerate is is 10 to 20 fps lower. Why would my GPU usage be so much lower, i'm assuming that is what is causing the fps hit.

Something else is going on. With 4k DSR, I get the exact same performance as running 4k.

Maybe I should reinstall the drivers? Oddly enough the DSR options has completely disappeared from my Nvidia control panel since swapping monitors.

just something to try. try renaming your config file and let the game redetect everything. see if that helps...

Ok just tried that, for some reason it still uses my previous settings. Doesn't default back to original ones.

Thats what I had did instead of naming it, game loads and it just replaced the files instantly with the same settings. Is it possible its stored on Steam?

I took steam offline, moved those files to my desktop, started up the game and all the graphics settings were default again. I guess they are stored on steam as well. Either way didn't seem to help the low gpu utilization.

Maybe DSR wasn't really working? What happens if you hook up the old monitor and run @ 1440p?

It had to be working to some degree, there was a pretty big visual difference by turning it on and a large fps hit between 1440p and 1440p @4K dsr. Besides my GPU usage being about 98% my power usage on each card was 100% on one and 105% on the other. With actual 4K my power usage hovers between 80% and 90% and occasionaly less.

I forgot to mention that the DSR option is completely gone from the Nvidia control panel after swapping monitors. Not that I would be using it with a 4K monitor but I thought that was interesting that it just completely went away

Last edited:
Maybe Nvidia intelligently hides it. Do they support DSR above 4K like running 4K @ 8K DSR?

Or reinstall the nvidia drivers with the clean install option checked.

You can go above 4k with DSR. If your monitor is Gsync, SLI+DSR+Gysnc don't play nice quite yet.

Do you have Power Management set to Prefer maximum performance in the NVCP?

You can go above 4k with DSR. If your monitor is Gsync, SLI+DSR+Gysnc don't play nice quite yet.

Bah. So what's the point of getting Titan X SLi if you can't use DSR and GSync?

It's like saying you can't bake sourdough in your expensive brand new breadmaker.

Bah. So what's the point of getting Titan X SLi if you can't use DSR and GSync?

It's like saying you can't bake sourdough in your expensive brand new breadmaker.

I completely agree. I remember a lot of people being pissed when DSR came out. It took a while for people to figure it out since nVidia did a piss poor job detailing the incompatibilities.

If he's on 4k he might be better off using AA with less of a performance hit anyways.

I completely agree. I remember a lot of people being pissed when DSR came out. It took a while for people to figure it out since nVidia did a piss poor job detailing the incompatibilities.

If he's on 4k he might be better off using AA with less of a performance hit anyways.

DSR makes 4K almost entirely unnecessary. The only things DSR makes necessary are SLi and GSync.. :mad:

Anyone know if this is going to be fixed or if it's a 'feature' like how SLi used to only be able to handle 3 monitors?

DSR makes 4K almost entirely unnecessary. The only things DSR makes necessary are SLi and GSync.. :mad:

Anyone know if this is going to be fixed or if it's a 'feature' like how SLi used to only be able to handle 3 monitors?
No word at all. I think I have even yet to see NVIDA acknowledge that the incompatibility even exists.

Take a 1080P image, scale down to 1/4 size, then blown up again to full screen. Compare that to the original 1080P image. Notice the difference?

Not a Gysync monitor, I tried doing a clean install of the drivers. Still the messed up GPU scaling and DSR function is still missing. When I had my 2K monitor I had the option to DSR it to 5K.

Last edited:
I just loaded up assassins creed unity to compare, granted I hadn't tried this one at 2K to 4K DSR so I don't know how it did on my old monitor at 4K dsr. It is reported 98 to 99 percent GPU utilization. All possible settings maxed out 3840X2160, 2X msaa, around 50 fps, 9.1gb of vram used. Seems like this game is working correctly.

Well I hadn't intended to do DSR with a 4K monitor. That is good to know though. Thanks for that

Mainly I'm just trying to figure out why I have poorer performance with actual 4K versus 1440p at 4K DSR.

That is interesting that you got DSR enabled with the 4K tv. Maybe its because your connected up through HDMI and i'm Displayport

Back