DSP Windows 7 Deal. Should I go for this?

AndySensei

n00b
First of all, I live in Japan. Prices are a bit different here for certain software and Hardware. Not in a huge way, but the general idea of software/hardware bundling sometimes gives good discounts. My local PC shop has what looks like a great deal:

Windows 7 Ultimate and a 120GB Intel SSD HD (the more expensive of the two they offer here) for about ¥40,000. This is roughly $400. The problem is, it's a DSP version of Windows (I think in Japan they use DSP in the same way America uses OEM). Normally, W7 Ult. Is about ¥32,000 on amazon Japan. The SSD is about ¥22,000. This bundle would save me about ¥14,000 (~$140).

What seems like a no-brainer is complicated by the fact that it's a DSP (OEM) version.

Just asking around for advice. I may go for it, may not. What do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks man. After researching it a bit, seems like it shouldn't be a problem. I'm planning on keeping this motherboard in this system for good. By the time I build a new system windows 10 will probably be out.

Normally, W7 Ult. Is about ¥32,000 on amazon Japan

Surely thats the retail copy and not OEM. Before you pull the trigger thinking this is going to save you some big money, you should check to see what an OEM copy is going for.

I know that prices are a bit different all over the world, but it doesn't seem like that great of a deal to me. That copy of Win7 at ¥32,000 is about $400 USD. An OEM here in the states goes for about $129, or ¥10,570. If you're drive is ¥22,000 then I would expect to pay closer to ¥33,000 give or take for some fluctuation in pricing.

That copy of windows is costing you ¥18,000 or $220. Seems a little high to me for an OEM copy.

[edit]
I took a quick look on Amazon.co.jp, and it appears that the DSP/OEM copies are going for about ¥20,000... so I guess I was wrong! This does save you a little money if you can't get the drive cheaper anywhere else...
[/edit]

He should definitely check the pricing for OEM, but when I was there OEM prices (or prices of anything in general, really) were nowhere as cheap as in the states.

Really one big thing I miss about living in the States is how damn cheap everything is. Of course, friends, family, dog, etc..... But do you know how much a good block of Cheddar cheese is over here?! about ¥500-750 for about 150-200g. Umm.... like 7 oz. for $6-9.

Importing stuff is a bitch for a rich island nation apparently. Also the US is the largest market in the world for most goods, so it drives prices down. I didn't understand, and still don't, why shit is so expensive here and not in some other places. Apparently Australia has it the worst of all. They pay through the nose for electronics and games. Don't know about cheese.

Back