• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

dSLR book?

smaug8821

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,406
My girlfriend is going to be buying an entry level dSLR camera soon(still doing research on which one), and she doesn't really know how to use them. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books they've used, explaining the features and doo-dads on dSLR cameras.

She doesn't really need a book on photography itself, she's a good photographer and artist, but just something that explains all the technical aspects of a dSLR camera.

Thanks everyone.
 
I would have to recommend these:
Understanding Exposure By Bryan Peterson
(If she goes the Canon side) The Magic Lantern's Guide to XXXD Canon Cameras

More than likely her best bet is to figure out which one she is going to get then go from there... I do not know of any "all around" technical manual for DSLR's as they are all different with different menus, etc. Hell the menu scheme between the XXD and the XXXD series Canons are different.
 
Honestly, your best bet is to find some good websites. The problem with books (and yes I have looked) is that a lot of them are WAY OUTDATED. Photographic technology has advanced almost as much as computers have in the last 5 years.

There are some books that are camera model specific and they will provide you some information, but the information is very technical and really won't tell you how to use (what settings to use) for a variety of different situations.

http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.fredmiranda.com/
if you're from TX, then highly recommend http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/portal.php

You'll find much more information about your camera and how to use it by doing a little research on the web.

 
If she doesn't understand what all the settings mean, that's what the manual is for. I learned how to operate my camera by reading its manual. Now if she doesn't understand what things like Aperture, ISO are, then I would recommend a general photography book like Understanding Exposure.
 
Magic Lantern Guides are good for learning to use a nikon or canon. Understanding Exposure is what you want if you don't understand how to shoot.
 
I would have to recommend these:
Understanding Exposure By Bryan Peterson
(If she goes the Canon side) The Magic Lantern's Guide to XXXD Canon Cameras

More than likely her best bet is to figure out which one she is going to get then go from there... I do not know of any "all around" technical manual for DSLR's as they are all different with different menus, etc. Hell the menu scheme between the XXD and the XXXD series Canons are different.

I agree.
 
Back
Top