DSL upgarde to 3Mbps requires new modem why?

blisstik

Limp Gawd
So right now, I have an Actiontec GT701-WG DSL Modem with 802.11g & routing capabilities. I got a call from the ISP today saying the upgrade is next week and they will need to repalce my modem with a Comtrend 507 w/o 802.11g capabilities. So its an upgrade in speed and downgrade in networking.

So I tried doing some research between the differences between GT701-WG vs Comtrend 507 and the only thing I notice is the Comtrend 507 supports Annex A/B options. What does that mean?

So please, if anyone knows why, let me know. I tried calling the ISP and the lady just kept saying its new equipment so you need new equipment.

GT701-WG Specs http://www.actiontec.com/pdf/gt701g_dtsh.pdf

Comtrend Specs http://www.comtrend.com/index.php?module=products&op=show&sn=13

tis the one problem with ISP's they tie your hands when it comes to the equipment they require..

Yep, as long as they gave it to you, they technically own it and can require it back for any reason. Read up on the TOS sometime.

Also other then that, many ISPs change their connection standards and or/upgrade to knew equipment that promotes higher speeds but requires newer modems in on other to authenticate/connect to their network. Happens all the time.

If there upgrading your service from 1.5 to 3mpbs at no charge to you, I wouldn't be bitching.

Oh and I use the 701g as well for my Qwest from DSL. They are upgrading their service to new 3/5/7 meg speeds so I also need to replace my modem. Welcome to the new world of broadband internet.

Well, the upgrade isn't free, I signed up for an additional 1 year contract. Basically I just want to be able to use 1 machine that takes care of LAN WAN and 802.11G. This sux, I just bought the GT701-WG for $25

blisstik said:
Well, the upgrade isn't free, I signed up for an additional 1 year contract. Basically I just want to be able to use 1 machine that takes care of LAN WAN and 802.11G. This sux, I just bought the GT701-WG for $25

You cant gripe when I paid $60 for mine

When I upgraded my service at home, they gave us a new modem too. However, the old modem still works, and at the faster speeds. I would try your old stuff before you get too distraught about it. :)

Back