DSL suddenly slower?

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
Within the last two weeks my average download speed has jumped from about 180Kb/s to about 60Kb/s.

I have Verizon DSL. The modem states I have a 3mb down connection. We never even ordered that when we got it. And now my down speed randomly takes a shit on it self.

Should I be getting into contact with Verizon and make them deal with it or is there anything I can do?

(I'd do a speedtest to show but, I'm at school at the moment)

I've been having the exact same problems. Sometime's I'll be playing CoD4 on 360 or CS:S and everything will be fine and suddenly I will just start lagging to the point of unplayability.

I figured it was just my ISP being stupid (I live on a university and they are my ISP) but maybe there's something else going on here.

Yea, I'm using my own router, a Netgear somethin (kinda forgot).

I used to have smoothwall box but, it decided to stop working. I noticed the slow down when I still had the smoothy box up.

I really wish I new what it was, I can't stand my speeds being that low when I know they should be higher.

I'll check the cables and everything when I get home, my mom moved some stuff around in her office (thats where the modem is, router is in my room) and she moved it, so maybe she knocked something loose?

What part of the US are you in. I've been having the same problems as of late with Verizon. (New Jersey) I just called up and ordered Optimum Online as Verizon Support was less than helpful and this crap makes the connection near useless.

My internet has been horrendous the past two weeks in the afternoons too. This has just started happening recently. I am on a ATT backbone though and I dont see network issues until I hit ATT's networks. Check this out:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 21 ms 8 ms 6 ms .cpe.cableone.net
3 12 ms 10 ms 8 ms cpe.cableone.net
4 61 ms 85 ms 68 ms 12.119.149.141
5 124 ms 121 ms 123 ms gbr6.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.123.25.94]
6 221 ms 241 ms 211 ms tbr2.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.11.125]
7 237 ms 294 ms 312 ms tbr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.10.14]
8 116 ms 113 ms 116 ms 12.127.3.189
9 138 ms 117 ms 109 ms 12.122.255.74
10 150 ms 173 ms 126 ms mdf001c7613r0003-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [12.

What part of the US are you in. I've been having the same problems as of late with Verizon. (New Jersey) I just called up and ordered Optimum Online as Verizon Support was less than helpful and this crap makes the connection near useless.

Souther Ohio.

post your line/modem stats

Modem says I have a 3360 Kbit/s Down and a 192Kbit/s up.

I've ran into a new problem though. My modem is constantly dropping my connection and I've noticed that everytime it reconnects my upload speed is different. Is my modem dieing? This is really becoming a PITA, I've told my mom to call verizon.

Yea, definitely call them. They should replace it if they see that it is failing.
Only other thing I'd do is connect something directly up to the modem, see if the issues still persist (if not, could be your router).

Have a similar issue with cable internet here. Some days it decide to not work at all. Others, it times out every 3 minutes. Very random, and ISP seems to have no clue whatsoever what the issue is (they acknowledge it exists, send techs out, but never resolves itself).

Back