DSL Splitter Wiring Question

kuhla

Limp Gawd
So I've decided to change from 2567 individual phone filters to 1 DSL splitter which should take care of all my phone line filtering needs and run a dedicated line directly to the DSL modem free of the topology of the rest of the house.

However in researching different models I've come across the following...

product page (image below) - http://www.wilcominc.com/Item.cfm?ProdID=100
ps15i3s20cpe20pots20spl.jpg

What I do not understand is that RJ-45 terminal there in the middle that is supposed to run to the modem (according to the documentation). My modem (and I imagine almost all are the same) have an RJ-11 plug for the phone line. I know I can run an RJ-11 from the terminals on the other side of the unit but I want to understand what the deal is with the RJ-45. At first I thought maybe they only used 4 pins of the RJ-45 cable and then you just crimp the other with an RJ-11 end with the corresponding pins but I see all the pins there in use.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain to me what the deal is with that RJ-45.

The screw posts and the jacks are parallel so all the pins should not be used. However, I have no idea why they put a 8p8c jack there. RJ-11 and RJ12 mod plugs usually fit fine in 8p8c jacks.

The screw posts and the jacks are parallel so all the pins should not be used. However, I have no idea why they put a 8p8c jack there. RJ-11 and RJ12 mod plugs usually fit fine in 8p8c jacks.

Alot of phone company's and dsl modems now come with ethernet jack on one end with a phone jack on the other. That might be the reason.

i haven't seen a ethernet jack on a dsl modem yet (wan side that is) but it really doesn't matter in the end, if your modem has a rj11 jack than just plug the cable into that rj45 socket and itll all be good.

Back