DSL problems - strange

Chron

n00b
I'm hoping someone here can help me with this problem because I've run out of ideas.

I recently got DSL (woohoo, about time) from Valor telecom. I was quite excited about this as I have been trying to get broadband for a LONG time. I connected everything up, and eventually (after they got the provisioning done) pages started to come up. I was thrilled. Unfortunately some things didn't seem to work quite right. My wife couldn't get her emails to download. I thought, maybe they are blocking port 25. But then I realized there were some sites like distrowatch which would not load either. After some surfing around, there were lots of sites that would not load. I then targeted in on one site that I built. I could load some portions of it, but not others. I've tested the bandwidth, and on the sites that it works ok with, the speeds seem to be as advertised (1.5M down 512k up). I am not currently using a router/firewall and I have tried this on 4 different machines (2003 server, 2000 Pro, and 2 different XP Pro). I know the sites I can't get to work, other than on my connection. The modem is a speedstream 4200 (which has firewall capabilities, but those functions are all turned off. The thing that is bizzare is that I can connect to a given server, but then not access certain things that I KNOW are on that server because I put them there. So it can't be port based or server based, and it's consistent. It always does it on specific parts of specific sites. And in some cases the sites are SUPER simple. I just don't understand what could be causing this, and neither does their tech support.

Any thoughts?

Yea..... change to another DNS server. Had the same problem with verizon a while back. Just do a Google or Hardocp search for a DNS server list.

I figured out the problem actually. It's the MTU setting on the router. Unforturnately there is no way to change it because it's part of the modem (a router is built in). Valor (my service provider) doesn't know what the un and pw are to get into that part of the configuration, and the modem manufacturer won't talk to me because I'm an end user. It's maddening. DLSReprts had an FAQ that showed me exactly what was wrong, and now I can't fix it ARGGGG!!!!

disable the router thats built into the modem, and run it in bridge mode, once you've done that, drop a router behind it, if you cant do it valor's tech guys should be able to help you out with it. i work for a subdivision of valor, and their routermodem combos suck

You know, you would think that would work. I certainly did. Then I found out that tier 1 and tier 2 support had no idea what the password for the unit was. There is a custom valor firmware in the speedstream 4200. The default admin/admin un/pw only gets into the simple portions of the router, everything else requires a different un/pw combo. I even figured out the username (valor) by trying to create a profile with that name (it wouldn't because there was already one there that didn't show up on the list). So basically, someone at valor (or possibly siemens) created this custom valor firmware that the valor support people are completely unaware of. It's very frustrating, and at best, doesn't reflect possitively upon valor's internal communications. I can foregive that I probably know more about what's happening than the tech support desk (I've been a telecom engineer for years), but this should be a simple issue to resolve. If they can't find their password (or refuse to divulge it) then I will either have to try to crack the password, or go buy a different router.

Go to the middle of nowhere and then about 2 miles deeper into nowhere from there :)

Well I'm still having some issues on the line, but I got the UN and PW for the router, so at least I can control it now.

Hello Chron,

I am having the exact same problems with my Valor/Siemens 4200 modem.
I'm having a hard time getting Valor people to even understand what all won't work!
Could you possibly share that higher level un & pw? I would like to fiddle with
some ot the other modem setup stuff.

Thanks,
Tom in Tulsa

Feel free to pm me

man i feel sorry for you guys for having to deal with them...they bought the ISP i work for, and ive had to deal with their tech guys...and damn...im only 21 and been in the tech support scene for 4 years(for this company at least) and damn these guys are dumb...

Back