DSL n00b question.

Pilky

Gawd
So i'v had cable all my life... and i am moving to a new house where my mothers boyfriend currently has DSL.. iv never messed with DSL or know anyone with it.. my question is what do i need to get my self online, ie. another DSL modem? or can i just use a router?

well, for the initial connection, a DSL modem is still needed, but a router can easily sit behind that and serve up packets.

cheers,

dave

PS>where in MA are you at?

DSL routers have a modem inside them unlike cable modems that are seperate from the router, there are dsl routers with on eth port for a switch or modems with no router too .. heh many options :p

Where in MA has DSL and not cable?

Thats odd, we had cable much earlier than DSL.

mrbobo said:
He is moving to his mothers boyfriends house who already has DSL.

Exactly.

And its only 30.00 bucks a month so im gonna give that whirl. I am currently living in Fall River MA. And i am moving to Rhode Island, wich does have cable (Cox), but since the DSL is already there, im gonna give that a whirl, and if i like it im just gonna use that - plus its cheaper. Ok so since he's already online i need a DSL router correct? So your telling me my Lynksys would not work with the DSL i would need a specific DSL router?

-pilk.

Pilky said:
So your telling me my Lynksys would not work with the DSL i would need a specific DSL router?

-pilk.
Yeah, your linksys will work with DSL. Your going to have to configure the pppoe if the provider uses that.

Back