DSL Modems - Is there really any difference in quality?

Kaizer

Gawd
Im curious..is there such thing as a "Good" or "Bad" dsl modem? Do they just work.. or dont work? Or any particular models out there that were flakey that people know of?

I was going through some stuff here at work and was preparing to throw some stuff out when I came upon a box with some random DSL modems.. about 1-2 years old for most of them. Is there one here perhaps that may be better than another for home use? :)

I tend to prefer Speedstream units..the 4100/4200 units are popular these days...support up to 24 megs so they're fast enough for most.

5100 is basically the same as the 4100 but 5100 doesnt support the higher speeds. Of course if all you have is up to 6mb DSL then 5100 is great.

I have to use an older Fujitsu modem on my Verizon line, simply because anything newer is too sensitive to the fact I'm a couple feet over my 'distance from' the CO limit. Or so they told me, and shown me, and proved.

I've noticed I have more problems with people who have the Westell boxes.

The specs I saw on the 5100 showed it supported 24mb.... is that incorrect? I dont have a 24mb line anyway.. its 6mb down. But.. my line is uncapped.. and im VERY close to the source. When the tech put it in, he had never seen such a strong signal.. I guess the box is literally in front of my apartment.

Ill have to look at the model of the modem I have installed currently.

http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/subscriber_networks/pdf/dslmodems.pdf

The modem I have plugged in at home is a 5360.... my connection has been kinda flakey recently.. ive replaced routers 3 times.. theres only so many things to check =/

It looks like the modem I have currently only does 8mb down. I guess its time to updage :)

I had a Speedstream 5100 in use for quite a while and it served me well. It seemed to take a dump when using a couple VPN sessions passing through though. Still worked fine, but would not allow new sessions until it was rebooted. VERY stange, I agree. Router was not hte problem, nor the server. Just had to reboot the modem and then update the user on my new IP.

On my Westell whateve the fuck free with Verizon now, because I think my Speedstream is giving up the ghost. So far I cannot complain in the least bit, works great.

Anyone with SBC DSL know if they are gonna freak if I just plug the thing in? or they going to need the MAC address off it?

Oh, and the only reason I questioned it.. was someone else had mentioned the 5100 not supporting 24mb.. Anyway im going to give it a shot and see what happens.

Kaizer said:
Anyone with SBC DSL know if they are gonna freak if I just plug the thing in? or they going to need the MAC address off it?.

was someone else had mentioned the 5100 not supporting 24mb.

They will not freak...they will not know the difference..they will not care. I can swap out dsl modems 89 times a day...the phone company will not know or care, it's not MAC based with SBC..it's PPPoE based. As long as you have the correct PPPoE settings (on the modem, or on the router, or on your PC...as long as it's on one and only one place)..you're set.

As for who to believe.."someone who told you"....or the official specs from Speedstream...I'd lean more towards the official specs from Speedstream.

Back