DSL modem routers

CoolGuy90

Gawd
I am thinking of getting those DSL modem w/ built in routers to replace my current Siemens DSL modem and Linksys wireless router. The only requirements I need is it to be wireless and have at least 4 Ethernet ports.

What are some good recommendations below $100?

Thanks

May I ask if there's particular reason you want an all-in-one unit? Generally i recommend keeping them separate.

agree with serpretetsky, not very good experiences with router/modem combos here also...

May I ask if there's particular reason you want an all-in-one unit? Generally i recommend keeping them separate.
+2 this. A lot easier to troubleshoot, and easier/cheaper to replace individual units. I keep my Cable modem about a foot away from the router. Get a small strand of Cat5e, and you are golden.

Also if you get a surge in your cable\DSL modem it could fry your all in one opposed to just the modem (unless it's strong enough to continue down the line. You should have surge protection on the phone or cable line anyways just in case.)

I don't know 100% sure for DSL modem/router combos but I know for a fact that with cable modem/router combos the cable company has control over the firmware for not only the modem but also the router part as well, and normally enforces retarded limits on NAT IP addresses. Like only 5 NAT IP addresses last I checked. You live alone and have 1 desktop, 1 latptop, a smart phone with wifi, a smart TV, a small file server, and 2 of either xbox, ps3, wii, any other gaming console, and you want them all to get online? Too bad! Pick your fave 5.

? Pretty shitty ISP if they do that... maybe they just have a stock /28 subnet on the internal range or something. Our ISP gives us 2Wires and we can either bridge them to our own routers or use theirs gateway as a router. The default they use is a /24 subnet so 254 hosts.

The one I know that does it is comcast so yeah, shitty. Pretty sure it gives out a /24 but only responds to 5 IPs. Even if the ISP in question doesn't do that, the point still stands that unless you hack your box then your ISP will most likely have control over both modem and router firmware if you use an all in one unit and that leaves them free to do shitty things any time down the road they want to.

Especially with 2Wires. There's something with the 2Wires and they way that they authenticate to the DSLAMs that MAKES you have to use them with the ISP. Nothing wrong with the 2wires as long as you bridge them. They suck as a router though. My 2Wire is flashed with special firmware so that port 1 is bridged for my static IPs (you can control port 1 at all in the firmware) and ports 2-4 are natted but I can still bridge one device behind it.

Thanks for all the replies, having second thoughts now. I have been having random internet drops with the supplied Siemens 4200 modem. Firmware is up to date on it, so I will probably try a factory reset and see what happens.

I'm partial to Zyxel DSL modems. They seem to hold up a lot better than the 2Wire and Actiontec units you see all over the place.

Anyone in this forum is going to recommend against getting a combo unit. There's not a solid unit out there; either DSL or Cable. If there was a reliable device available, you'd hear a different tune.

Thanks for all the replies, having second thoughts now. I have been having random internet drops with the supplied Siemens 4200 modem. Firmware is up to date on it, so I will probably try a factory reset and see what happens.
connect to the modem directly (bypass the router) and make sure your modem is in bridge mode (very technically known as dumb mode). You may have to setup a dial-up connection in windows, probably via PPPoE.

Use it like this for a while to see if the problem goes away, if it's still there, just replace the modem itself.

connect to the modem directly (bypass the router) and make sure your modem is in bridge mode (very technically known as dumb mode). You may have to setup a dial-up connection in windows, probably via PPPoE.

Use it like this for a while to see if the problem goes away, if it's still there, just replace the modem itself.

What brands would you recommend?

We use Comtrend modems at my work. Used to give out Westell then they stopped selling to anyone other than the larger guys, now they got bought out by Netgear.

Tried Zoom, didn't like them as the model we had couldn't handle Xbox 360s correctly due to it not knowing how to deal with uPNP and NATing. had to configure the devices to have a DMZ and then set a static on the xbox and set it to be in the DMZ. big pain in the ass.

Tried BEC and Zyxel. Didn't have too much trouble with the Zyxel except for bonding. It didn't like bonded ADSL very much.

we use all in one Comtrends and I haven't seen really any issues with them. They have build in wireless N, 4 port switch, do everything just fine. First gen had internal antennas which sucked. But i'm guessing us and a lot of others complained as they recalled them and released the line with multiple external antennas instead. Model we use is the AR-5381u. I'm not aware of any issues that we have had with them so far since the redesign. don't know if you can buy them off the shelf though. We get ours directly from them.

How about posting the transceiver stats here or talk with your DSL provider? Perhaps there is an issue with the line causing internet drop outs and not the DSL modem/router.

Honestly I haven't had much issues with the AT&T all-in-ones such as the Netopia and the Motorola 2100... but the 1 port modems AT&T is sending out now (they have all had NAT routers for years) only support DHCP on one devices.

My ISP has the option of going with Gigasets that have wireless and a couple wired ports, personally I prefer to have a basic modem and have my own router. In my case a 1U pfsense box. :p

Though for basic users I think they're a great idea, it simplifies things for them.

Back