DSL modem acting strange

arkamw

[H]ard|Gawd
I was helping out a friend with a great deal of virus and spyware issues which we got taken care of (it should be all gone... enough monitoring software installed now that I should know if a bug sneezes inside the machine). For the heck of it, we decided to install ZoneAlarm to monitor connections and help out in case more spyware found its way into the machine and wanted net access.

While we haven't noticed programs asking for net access, there are an inordinate amount of connection attempts logged (and blocked) by ZoneAlarm, from the modem / router itself, something like 1600 attempts in 4 hours.

The PC is a home built running XP SP1, the modem is a 2Wire DSL Homeportal 1000SW. I know that at my house, my router doesn't talk to my machine that much (if at all). So why would there be so much communication between the modem and the PC?

I'm not in front of it, we've been doing all of this by phone, so I haven't gotten to play with the machine hands on. I'm hoping that someone else out there has DSL (hopefully with this modem) and can provide a little extra insight as to what might be going on.

Cheers.

Sounds like you still have a virus/spyware wanting to do its nasty need at a particular port hence why zone alarm is constantly being alerted. You may end up wiping the system and rebuilding it if you can't get rid of it, which i've had to do time and time again.

Back