DSL get cuts off when a call comes in

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

Was just wondering if anyone have any solutions for this issue that I am having.

I just got DSL installed in my parents house and what is happening is that whenever I receive a call, the DSL would get cut off for a few seconds and then it will connect itself back on.

Is this because of the phone line itself (age) or is this because of the hardware?

Thanks.

Sounds like a filtering problem. Make sure there is a filter on every phone and pots device.

Try unplugging all the phones in the house except a simple (nothing fancy), corded one. Some phones can draw a lot of power, which might somehow affect the DSL signal.

I have installed all filters. I will look into it. So it does sound like a filter program correct?

I was having a similar problem at one point and it turned out to be a line issue. If you can't figure it out, may want to call out the Co. to take a look.

I have had the same problem, but it doesn't do it all the time. I don't remember the last time it did do it...probably since I haven't been playing BF2; that's when you notice it. :rolleyes:

Chelica said:
I have installed all filters. I will look into it. So it does sound like a filter program correct?

Just to be sure - double check the filters and make sure they are installed the correct way. (My wife put the filters on our phones while I setup the router but we still had all kinds of crackles and pops on one of the phones. When I went to check she had the filter on backwards)

i've heard of issues with people losing their internet when a calls come in. it is because the wireless and the phone are on the same frequency (2.4GHz). never heard of filters though because i dont have a wireless phone or dsl (i have cable).

Q: My DSL disconnects when I answer the phone (#326)

A: This is a symptom of bad internal wiring, or problems with filters, splitter or sockets.

Another possibility is an MTU on the line. An MTU, is a Maintenance Test Unit. In days long gone, it was used to remotely check for problems on your phoneline. It seems these lovely units that consist of an Op-Amp and a bunch or resisters, capacitors, etc ... cause major problems with DSL. These are generally located in your phone closet or basement (where the phoneline comes from the street into your house/apartment).

You can have your phone company do a line check and they should be able to determine if you have one on your line and approximately where it is located.

Back