DSL Connection drops every few days

aliensRreal

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
166
Ever since I installed a Linksys WRT110 and an Asus WL-520gu (DDwrt for bridge mode) the DSL (Verizon) has been dropping. It doesn't seem to matter if the connection is idle internet has been lost while in use and when just arriving to the computer.

The WRT110 is the primary router used for the computer and broadcast of the wireless network. Keep alive settings on the WRT110 are at 30 seconds. The Asus is setup in bridge mode using ddwrt and connects an xbox. The connection is restored when network settings are tested using the xbox. Are there any additional settings that I should be looking for?

FWIW the connection appears to maintain sync as the DSL light never begins to flash.
 
I had the same problem for the LONGEST time with a D-Link DIR-625 and Bell Sympatico DSL. My internet would keep dropping at random times, first every few days, but then it accellerated, and eventually it was doing it every hour or so! I thought it was the modem for forever, but it was always fine. Turns out the router was just overheating like shit and was dying, and I had no clue! Perhaps your issue is a problem with the router. Give a new one a try for a week and see if it helps. Otherwise, it's probably a problem with Verizon.
 
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up doing just that last night. The Asus has been moved to the router and the Linksys has been removed temporarily.
 
What kind of modem? Are you doing PPPoE on the router? Not sure how it would affect the modem's status lights, but that's one more thing in the connection that could be causing issues.
 
This question is in regards to a friends internet connection so not sure the model of the modem, but I can say that the equipment is Westell and that I configured the WRT110 for pppoe use. According to my friend, the lights on the modem don't change between working and not working. Although, since the wrt110 has been removed and the Asus subbed in the connection has been stable.
 
Back
Top