DSL and Cable Router? A difference?

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
I have an OLD Linksys WRT54G router that has been my stalwart companion for a while now. As I mentioned in another another thread we are moving and we will have to switch from CABLE modem (FAST) to DSL (SLOW). Just got of the phone with the service provider, they will be putting in a 6m bit/s DSL connection in next week.
Got to thinking if I needed to change or upgrade my gear. My cable modem is provided by the cable company; that goes back. But my router is a router for cable modem. I have to wonder what the difference is because it has a WAN Ethernet port just like any other router. Why would it not work with a DSL modem. Or will it? Any ideas??

ive used that same router for both... why would u need to change?

modem still connects to wan, shouldnt be any different.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The same router will work with DSL, don't worry about it. One thing, many DSL modems have routers built in. I would suggest throwing the modem into bridge mode which turns off the routing functions in it. Find out what model modem you're getting and go from there.

The same router will work with DSL, don't worry about it. One thing, many DSL modems have routers built in. I would suggest throwing the modem into bridge mode which turns off the routing functions in it. Find out what model modem you're getting and go from there.

+1 ...

chances are the dsl router supports bridge mode anyway. Just connect it to your router and change your router settings from cable (dynamic ip) to dsl (pppoe). You will need to put in your dsl username/password. That should do it. :)

Back