DS9 RAID strangeness

NerdAlert

Weaksauce
I've been running my DS3 / E6400 (@ 3.2GHz) / 3G Corsair RAM / 2 x 250G SATA in RAID 0 for the last few months without issue, until today that is. I did a normal restart of my computer from the windows desktop, and on bootup I got some CMOS error message, so I went into the BIOS and resaved my normal config and tried to boot.

Now when it wizzes by the RAID screen it shows drive 0 as non-RAID and drive 1 as RAID ready, with the overall result of my 500G RAID drive being failed. Of course, I now get a disk error when it trys to boot from the drive.

Has my first drive gone kaput or is there just some BIOS setting that I missed resetting to get the mobo to see the drive correctly again? Any help would be appreciated.

If the drive had failed, wouldn't I be seeing some sort of error message about the drive itself? I mean, the drive detects properly, and even reports details back in the RAID setup window, it just doesn't think it is a RAID drive for some reason.

As suspected, having wiped the RAID drive config and reformatting, there was nothing physically wrong with either drive. Rather annoying that one drive suddenly forgets it is part of a RAID config. Thanks for your patience.

I am not using raid on my DS3 but my disks are often not recognised - either one or both. I then have to restart a few times before it/they are seen again. It also, at times, decides to change the boot order and so no boot. All these things happen at switch on or restart. This has been the case from F3 to F7 bioses. Once up and going, it seems fine. Instability of a mobo is a damned nightmare and possibly expensive. I'm hesitating over F9. I'm thinking if it isn't bust don't fix it; but I like seeing what extras I might get.... arghhhhhhhhhh!

Back