ggriffiths
n00b
- Joined
- Apr 24, 2007
- Messages
- 8
I recently purchased everything I needed to build myself a nice, new machine. I got a DS3 rev 3.3, E6420, as well as some other really nice parts. My problem is this:
I'm attempting to water cool this beast. I took the original HS off the northbridge and put the waterblock on there. When I boot the computer it hangs almost instantly. I'm pretty sure this is due to the northbridge overheating, and here's why: I put the stock heatsink back on, and it would run, but only for a few minutes before overheating. I'm very sure it's the northbridge because it is extremely hot to the touch. The farthest I have ever gotten was having it start an XP install. It died within 2 minutes total of boot up, and it only got this far because I left the unit off for a while. I did a very good job or removing the crappy HS, taking off the thermal paste and applying a very thin layer of Arctic Silver 5.
If I have to order a new waterblock I will, but I was wondering if there was anything you guys could suggest to try so I can ensure I don't have a bum board. Normally I check them to make sure they work prior to taking things apart, but for some reason this time I didn't (and it looks like it might bite me in the butt).
Geoff
I'm attempting to water cool this beast. I took the original HS off the northbridge and put the waterblock on there. When I boot the computer it hangs almost instantly. I'm pretty sure this is due to the northbridge overheating, and here's why: I put the stock heatsink back on, and it would run, but only for a few minutes before overheating. I'm very sure it's the northbridge because it is extremely hot to the touch. The farthest I have ever gotten was having it start an XP install. It died within 2 minutes total of boot up, and it only got this far because I left the unit off for a while. I did a very good job or removing the crappy HS, taking off the thermal paste and applying a very thin layer of Arctic Silver 5.
If I have to order a new waterblock I will, but I was wondering if there was anything you guys could suggest to try so I can ensure I don't have a bum board. Normally I check them to make sure they work prior to taking things apart, but for some reason this time I didn't (and it looks like it might bite me in the butt).
Geoff