DS Lite protection

Jordan1

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a DS Lite for someone for Christmas and was thinking about getting one myself. How many of you use screen protectors? Or full body covers like the "Invisible Shield"? Just a case? Or nothing?

I currently have the equivalent of a Invisible Shield on my iPod because I always throw it in my pocket with ear buds wrapped around it...

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone's results were, for example, not using a screen protector on the touch screen. Any scratches over time?

I've had my ds lite since launch day and have not had a case for it. During that time I've stuffed it in my rear pocket, jacket pockets, side pockets, car glove box, suitcase, briefcase etc. Other than some yellowing on the rubber non slip feet on the back, it still looks pretty much brand new. It opens fine and stiff, no scratches to speak of on the screen.

I got the DS lite kit for my sister for x-mas from Costco, comes with clear hard case, a soft pouch, headphones, car charger (for DS lite and reg DS) that make the kit a steal practically. We'll see how that DS fairs with that, but these little buggers are pretty robust.

The best screen protectors for the DS bar none are the Hori ones. I picked mine up from a local Fry's, but I know decal girl sales them online if you can't find them at a local B&M.

I haven't had any problems either with screens getting scratched, but quality screen protectors are less than $10 so its insurance I don't mind paying.

I have a simple slip case that's absolutely perfect for me. 2mm neoprene is strong and tough, it comes with a microfiber screen wipe, a belt loop, and a removable carabiner. Nice secure velcro tab closure at the top.

I bought screenprotectors initially but took them off. Seriously, as long as you're not mentally defective and try stabbing through the thing you wont scratch it. But if you're giving it to kids, yeah - buy the ones above.

As for cases - I have a great airpocket case which has space for games and would protect it really well in a fall.

I have to say that I'm not a screen protector guy, either. My mom's DS - even with fairly hard use by my 5-year-old nephew - doesn't have scratches, my old DS had no scratches when I sold it and my current DS Lite is similarly scratch-free. Now, if the DS didn't fold up, I'd probably go for screen protection, but if you're using the proper styli (as opposed to something with a point on it) you'd probably be just fine without anything extra. Of course, if you'd feel more comfortable WITH a screen protector, then go to it - it may be that those of us who don't use them are too relaxed and will pay for it in the long run. ;)

Psychotext said:
I bought screenprotectors initially but took them off. Seriously, as long as you're not mentally defective and try stabbing through the thing you wont scratch it. But if you're giving it to kids, yeah - buy the ones above.

As for cases - I have a great airpocket case which has space for games and would protect it really well in a fall.

have you ever played elite beat agents?

ive been unlucky... ive scratched a screen twice... with the stylus...

get a 5$ screen protector... barely notice it while playing

Yup, have played most of the games on the DS - including completing trauma centre (and getting so angry with it that I stabbed the screen a couple of times). Really, unless you're using a fork for a stylus I can't understand how people damage the screen.

Hell, I can barely use a pencil without snapping the lead and my DS screen is still perfect. :p

like i said... a grain of sand sticked to the end of my stylus... and i ruined one of my ds this way...

screen protector are cheap... and not noticeable

If you ever play a game thats highly stylus intensive (Elite Beat Agents, Osu Tatakae Ouendan, Meteos, etc.) then I STRONGLY suggest you get a screen protector. It's only a $5 investment but it makes a world of a difference. It also reduces a bit of glare as well.

As mentioned above, the Hori ones are the best in the market. I have a set on mine at the moment and I'm glad I have it.

As for cases, I use a Hori case as well. They just make outstanding products. But pretty much any case will do. And as long as youre not throwing it around, you can live without a case. Probably some clean microfiber cloths will be all you need.

Back