Drupal vs Joomla vs Wordpress

jhwk6957

Limp Gawd
I am sure this is a repeat thread. Sorry. But I am trying to learn as much as I can about web design. I have some experience working with Drupal but can anyone explain to me the major differences between these three content management systems. Is there anything that you can do in wordpress that cannot be done in Drupal for example or are they just three different systems with different communities supporting them. basically doing the same thing?

Actually, Wordpress is not a CMS per se. It's a blog engine that got some CMS-ish parts slapped on top of it but it is in no way ready (or able) to act as a traditional CMS in a business environment. Wordpress multi-site (or multi-install as it is sometimes called) is nothing short of a nightmare from an operational point of view. There is no build-in authentication inheritance, template inheritance, etc. etc.

Before I go on to write a Ph.D. thesis about this; Stay away from Wordpress if you want a CMS. Its CMS implementation is nothing more like a dirty hack that will suck up your dev time and fill you with frustrations.

Drupal and Joomla both have decent multi-site implementations.

Then of the Microsoft stack side there is Umbraco which really is the gold standard when it comes to CMS.

Actually, Wordpress is not a CMS per se. It's a blog engine that got some CMS-ish parts slapped on top of it but it is in no way ready (or able) to act as a traditional CMS in a business environment. Wordpress multi-site (or multi-install as it is sometimes called) is nothing short of a nightmare from an operational point of view. There is no build-in authentication inheritance, template inheritance, etc. etc.

Before I go on to write a Ph.D. thesis about this; Stay away from Wordpress if you want a CMS. Its CMS implementation is nothing more like a dirty hack that will suck up your dev time and fill you with frustrations.

Drupal and Joomla both have decent multi-site implementations.

Then of the Microsoft stack side there is Umbraco which really is the gold standard when it comes to CMS.

Wordpress' own site says this: WordPress started as just a blogging system, but has evolved to be used as full content management system and so much more through the thousands of plugins, widgets, and themes, WordPress is limited only by your imagination. (And tech chops.)

I think it depends on what kind of site you're building. I build all my websites in Wordpress... but they are all small websites.

I'm not a developer... nor do I have a team of people working with me. That's one way to determine which platform is right for you.

To the OP... there is a wealth of information on the topic: https://www.google.com/search?&q=Drupal+vs+Joomla+vs+Wordpress

If I can sum it up as simply as possible.
Wordpress is easier to learn and better for smaller sites.
Drupal or Joomla requires more php experience, is larger and more complex, and is meant for large websites who can afford continuous maintenance and development.

To put it even more simply, if you have to ask the question to begin with, then you should go with Wordpress. And also a php book.

i have a blog in wordpress and so far, i'm good with it. the blog is just a small blog, my personal blog to say. i haven't tried using joomla, but my friend preferred drupal because it's clean.

Back