Dropping out of Win 10 Insider Preview

Camberwell

Gawd
I can't seem to find any firm answer to this online, so i thought I'd check here. More than a year ago now I built a cheap pc from parts I had lying around so that my young kids, who are just starting to type up presentations for school, didn't trash my machine ;).

Anyway, I installed the Insider Preview version of Win 10 onto a blank drive and they have been using it ever since. I thought I read somewhere that after the free upgrade period expired in the summer, the Insider Preview versions would become a legal version, and for a while that what it showed on that machine. More recently though, the preview build number is now shown on the bottom right of the desktop where previously it was blank.

The latest slow ring update borked web browsing for us, apparently a clash with the free version of AVG I had (now removed in order to see web sites!), but that got me to thinking that since this machine has become quite a big part of my kids daily use, maybe it's time to drop out of the Insider program.

What I cannot seem to find out is what will happen as far as the license goes - TLDR, if we drop out, will we have to pay for a full retail license, or does it just stay activated as it is?

AFAIK it will stay activated. I have a secondary machine that has been on and off the insider preview a couple of times with no problems with it's activation. It is currently not running preview builds as I decided I wanted it to remain as stable as possible for it's current use and it is still activated.

Anyway, I installed the Insider Preview version of Win 10 onto a blank drive and they have been using it ever since. I thought I read somewhere that after the free upgrade period expired in the summer, the Insider Preview versions would become a legal version
This is inaccurate.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...0-insider-preview-builds/#zQFFwMeMuxkjJsY8.97
“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers.

Insider builds basically run based on the idea that the clock resets with each build, and builds come frequently enough that an older build never has a chance to expire. If you drop out of Insider now, you're expected to buy a license, as the free upgrade period (for computers with a Win7/8 license) expired back in July.

This is inaccurate.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...0-insider-preview-builds/#zQFFwMeMuxkjJsY8.97

Insider builds basically run based on the idea that the clock resets with each build, and builds come frequently enough that an older build never has a chance to expire. If you drop out of Insider now, you're expected to buy a license, as the free upgrade period (for computers with a Win7/8 license) expired back in July.
im of the belief that if he would just reinstall the AU and then opt out of the insider it should be good to go.......the way i understand it. I would certainly make an image and then try it!

I have at least 1 computer where I opted out and it's still activated for what it's worth.

OK thanks guys, I think I will make an image and then do a clean install and see if it activates. I also want to move it from an hdd to an ssd so we'll see how that goes too....

Its nice to have one PC with insider preview, so you can see what they are breaking next, and you can find solutions to the problems before it hits all PCs.

I can't seem to find any firm answer to this online, so i thought I'd check here. More than a year ago now I built a cheap pc from parts I had lying around so that my young kids, who are just starting to type up presentations for school, didn't trash my machine ;).

Anyway, I installed the Insider Preview version of Win 10 onto a blank drive and they have been using it ever since. I thought I read somewhere that after the free upgrade period expired in the summer, the Insider Preview versions would become a legal version, and for a while that what it showed on that machine. More recently though, the preview build number is now shown on the bottom right of the desktop where previously it was blank.

The latest slow ring update borked web browsing for us, apparently a clash with the free version of AVG I had (now removed in order to see web sites!), but that got me to thinking that since this machine has become quite a big part of my kids daily use, maybe it's time to drop out of the Insider program.

What I cannot seem to find out is what will happen as far as the license goes - TLDR, if we drop out, will we have to pay for a full retail license, or does it just stay activated as it is?
Insider Preview requires having a legit licensed version of Windows. When you end participation in the Insider Previews you need to revert back to your original OS because IP's expire shortly after the next version is released. It does not convert into a licensed copy.

Insider Preview requires having a legit licensed version of Windows. When you end participation in the Insider Previews you need to revert back to your original OS because IP's expire shortly after the next version is released. It does not convert into a licensed copy.
Hmm, that may be a problem then, as I installed the Insider Preview when it became available in the very beginning (late 2014), onto a blank drive with no previous OS....

Hmm, that may be a problem then, as I installed the Insider Preview when it became available in the very beginning (late 2014), onto a blank drive with no previous OS....
Exactly, you have no base underlying Windows to reinstall on the system because you never purchased one. Had you installed 7 or 8, then did the free upgrade to 10, you could have fallen back to that. If you have a legitimate 7 or 8 key, fortunately, there's still a way to get the 10 upgrade for free by using this link. Do a clean install of 10 using the 7 or 8 key.

If you do not have a 7 or 8 key to use, then look for Windows 10 OEM System Builders edition licensing. It's the most affordable way to buy keys. Avoid grayware sites or keys sold on forums because they are usually selling ones illegal for resale in the US (if you're from here).

That's not what Microsoft announced after the beta/preview was finished. They said every tester gets free licenses.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/free-windows-10-upgrade-for-insider-preview-users/

That's not what Microsoft announced after the beta/preview was finished. They said every tester gets free licenses.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/free-windows-10-upgrade-for-insider-preview-users/
"Let me start by restating very clearly that Windows 10, whether you get it on 7/29 or whether you got it in a preview form through the Windows Insider Program is intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices."

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...0-insider-preview-builds/#jC1YQf9ltgLYG1JF.97

Clearly spells it out that you need a genuine OS license and that's straight from the horses mouth.

OP wasn't using a genuine Windows device to begin with.

"Let me start by restating very clearly that Windows 10, whether you get it on 7/29 or whether you got it in a preview form through the Windows Insider Program is intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices."

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...0-insider-preview-builds/#jC1YQf9ltgLYG1JF.97

Clearly spells it out that you need a genuine OS license and that's straight from the horses mouth.

OP wasn't using a genuine Windows device to begin with.

I installed the preview to at least two gaming boxes that were built from scratch. They 'upgraded' fine and have stayed activated. If they drop out one day, I'm surely not going to pay. I recently switched also my gaming box to linux and judging from limited testing playing Steam games, I don't need Windows anymore.

I installed the preview to at least two gaming boxes that were built from scratch. They 'upgraded' fine and have stayed activated. If they drop out one day, I'm surely not going to pay. I recently switched also my gaming box to linux and judging from limited testing playing Steam games, I don't need Windows anymore.
Not sure how this is related to the discussion. If you are commenting on the ability to install it on a blank drive, I'm not denying it's possible. Hell, you can install an "upgrade" copy of Windows onto a blank drive and get it activated. That doesn't mean it's legally activated. Same with the preview builds. If you want to be legal with a way to back out to a default OS you have to have an underlying license for the system.

Anyways. I think this thread has run it's course. No new information can be provided at this point.

Back