Dropping connection /w torrents

Irishllama

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, so I got a new router because my old was was... just having problems so to say. Well my new netgear will drop it's connection when downloading torrents after about a minute or two. I'll have to reset the router to get connection again. This only happens when using torrents. I'm not sure whats up here, but if I try to just repair the connection, it can't even renew my IP.

Most home grade routers can't handle the many concurrent connections that P2P software brings. Add to that...malware that P2P programs and their downloads bring to your PC can infest your PC..tcp stack/winsock...so it adds to performance issues.

Which router did you try?
Beat them all...build a linux distro router.

I have a similar problem after moving from cable to DSL. It wasn't by choice. If at any time i'm really saturating the line either via a torrent or any other download my DSL modem/router will drop my wireless connection. It doesn't matter if a different device is doing the routing, if at anytime the line is stressed i'm dropped and the modem even picks up a new IP. I've never had DSL and this really pisses me off. That, and the slow download speeds.

I think that the cheap modem/router is running low on memory. Downloading from a newsgroup is enough to reset my connection, albeit at a slower rate than a torrent. My cable modem, when connected to my dd-wrt54g, wouldn't actually drop me but would cause time out errors for other people on the network whenever i hog the bandwidth(1MB/s download speeds).

Yes, no doubt Linux routers a$$. I find Tomato firmware on my WRT54GL works GREAT for torrents. So much tweaking you can do not only to improve torrent speeds, but also your whole network with unsurpassed QoS features. I also think it's complete CRAP that Comcast Internet is so misguided in screwing with torrents at all. There's plenty of good legal material available on bit torrent besides the presumed copyrighted material. I presume they felt pressured by the trend to sue everyone and their grandmother for ANY p2p program and figured they could "nip it in the bud." Totally off the mark.

So what is the solution for this ? I think if you are using uTorrent you can limit the connections.

Back