dropped my case temp by 7C

fr33ze

Gawd
the air flow round my case was pretty poor before the wkend so i thought it was about time i sorted some fans out to help my overclock.

i added a couple of fans into my custom made case window to blow onto my 9800 and northbridge (the northbridge heatsink is custom made as well and is passive so these puppies are useful)

fr33ze-sidefans.JPG

i also replaced the crappy stock 80mm fan at the front with a 120mm fan.

fr33ze-120mmfan.JPG

finally to help the case breath a bit better i drilled some holes in the front (can you guess what make cpu ive got)

fr33ze-frontgrill.JPG

like i said all in all my case temps dropped by about 7C as well as my cpu temp. before the mod the best score i could get in 3dmark01 was 185xx and now im at 194xx so im happy. scores mainly increased because i can now clock my graphics card about 15mhz higher

sorry a couple of the pics are a bit crappy and out of focus, only just got a new digital camera and im still getting used to it

How loud is it with the extra fans?

And I like the drill work. I'm guessing you use a Via chip. :D

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
How loud is it with the extra fans?

And I like the drill work. I'm guessing you use a Via chip. :D

lol, its pretty loud with everything turned up to full but i got some switches so that i can run everything at 12, 7 or 5v.

fr33ze-switches.JPG

its not the neetest mod i've ever done but it is one of the most practical. the pot on the end is for the cpu fan. i need to get a plastic dial to put over the top of it to make it look better.

i normally run all the fans at 12v when gaming so the noise isnt a problem and then turn them right down when im sleeping.

a green 120mm led fan would look sweet infront to light up the AMD Logo :cool:

thats true, i did think about getting a small cold cathode in there to brighten it up. little bit short on money right now though, already spent too much on computer stuff in the last three months.

maybe after my next student loan cheque clears

I would suggest rising your computer, or putting it on a peice of cardboard or something. Keeping it on the carpet will build up static (over time) and kill your PSU. I did to an old comp, trust me on this one.

I was stumped on what processor you had til i looked in ur sig :D :rolleyes:.

Try using led's on the logo, it would be different, but should work

like i said i thought about using lighting behind the drilling but i need a bit of money first.

there are more holes below and some round the side, its not a massively high cfm fan so im pretty sure its fine. its still the quietist part of my case. besides if i get rid of the grill completly its gonna look like a pile of dog crap which i dont want.

as for the static build up because its on carpet, im sorry mate but that dont go, the case is grounded so static cant build up. if your power supply died is because of some other reason.

it really funny, my parent computer kept overheating, so my dad drilled out the front in the AMD logo too :)

i plan to do something similar to my rig, too, with a 120mm exhaust fan over the expansion slots, enlarging the rear to accept a 92mm exhaust fan, enlarging the front for a 120mm intake fan, and placing a 92mm intake fan over my northbridge and ram:D it seems that you custom wired the fanbus yourself; did you use a tutorial and if so, which one? i don't have $30 for a fanbus, and i figure it'll be cheaper if i do it myself, heh.

very nice and functional mods, with the exception of the amd intake grate in the front. while it looks cool, it's still obstructing the airflow somewhat.

Originally posted by PS-RagE
I've always found side intakes do the most good.

Nice job, BTW
generally, you do want more exhaust fans, so that all of the air being brought in can leave just as quickly... right? the reason why i'm planning on putting an exhaust fan over my expansion slots is due to the heat buildup in that part of the case, due to lack of airflow.

that's the last question i'm going to ask in this thread, as i don't want to hijack it.

Originally posted by dss64662
generally, you do want more exhaust fans, so that all of the air being brought in can leave just as quickly... right? the reason why i'm planning on putting an exhaust fan over my expansion slots is due to the heat buildup in that part of the case, due to lack of airflow.

that's the last question i'm going to ask in this thread, as i don't want to hijack it.

Intake from the side and the front. Exhaust out the top and the back. I try to keep them the same using the fan ratings (for cfm)

Originally posted by Wixard
Hey freeze thats a hell of an Overclock, nice work :)

cheers for the props guys, its always nice to get some good feedback for the mods ive been doing.

dss64662

yeah i did custom wire the fanbus myself using douple pole double throw switches. i didn't use a tutorial, just figured it out myself, took a while though. far too easy to get confued when your tryna figure out what ground should go where, etc... if you do wanna know how i did it i can probaly draw up a scematic but im not sure how much sense it'll make.

Originally posted by ownerizer
I would suggest rising your computer, or putting it on a peice of cardboard or something. Keeping it on the carpet will build up static (over time) and kill your PSU. I did to an old comp, trust me on this one.

ummm....:p

thats the same case i have, i fucking love it!! best damn case there is, it could crush a small kid to death, but its damn modable, Id love to see more pics of what youve done with it (just for comparison, pm me if you want to just e-mail some out instead of posting)

congradulations on the temp drop, nice modding

Originally posted by BLsibub666
thats the same case i have, i fucking love it!! best damn case there is, it could crush a small kid to death, but its damn modable, Id love to see more pics of what youve done with it (just for comparison, pm me if you want to just e-mail some out instead of posting)

congradulations on the temp drop, nice modding

its good aint it, its absolutley huge. i dont even know what case it is, bought it second hand off a mate. i'll just post pics here when i get some time. if you wanna post pics of yours go ahead, i'd like to compare as well.

cheers btw

yeah i havent put any pics up sorry, but its an in-win case "full tower serer chassi"
linky

i guess ill let you know when i get picks up (ive got it sanded down for a paint job right now)

.... hell im tempted to start a thread just to see what mods people have made to this case

I have a inwin q 2000 as well. There are 2 models of that case server and personal. Personal has one psu server has 2 psu locations. Both have removeable mother board trays. Prety nice cases well built and huge only thing i didnt like is on the mother board i had when i used the case a epox it was a stretch to get the hds hooked up with standard cables.

it is an absolutley huge case ain tit. i have to use long ide cables otherwise they just wouldn't reach.

i've got the personal one which is only supposed to have one psu but ive modded it with two psu's.

Originally posted by yujie
how did u cut holes in the plexiglass?

I use a hole bit... they make big holse...you need a arbor ($15 and whatever size bit you want..there like the things you make the hole for a door knob....well. there are the tings you make that door hole with, just diffrent sizes

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
I use a hole bit... they make big holse...you need a arbor ($15 and whatever size bit you want..there like the things you make the hole for a door knob....well. there are the tings you make that door hole with, just diffrent sizes

thats a better way than i did it, i just used a dremel to cut the majority of it then filed the edges down to neaten it up.

Errrrrmmmm No .... That's totally incorrect.

Static electricity could NEVER build up on a PC case.

Part of UK and i'm guessing USA electical requirements is any Unisolated device requires a Earth grouding. And by un isolated device would be just about anything that's got a metal case.

A PSU by is sheer nature and LAW is required to be earthed. Any static charge that is ever buit up by a case would be instatly discharged though your earth. Also if you donot have a earth on your case you may find that it effects your stability of the machine as you would have inadequote sheilding. It's also highly dangrous as a problem with your PSU could make your case LIVE.

If anyone is concerned about hteir earth all you need is a multimeter and put it on contiunity test. Then unplug your PC and press teh power button a few times to discharge any Cps in your machine/psu. then put one then of the multimeter onto the 3rd pin (the longest) and then any bear metal on your case your should get a suffesfull contiunity test.

Originally posted by fr33ze
my thoughts too mr brian, the case is grounded, it aint gonna happen :rolleyes:

Grounded where? I swore it was the static that killed the case. It worked when I turned it off, after sitting for a while it didn't work anymore. Oh well. I'm not saying I know everything, but it's the only logical explination I can come up with.

Grounded where? I swore it was the static that killed the case. It worked when I turned it off, after sitting for a while it didn't work anymore. Oh well. I'm not saying I know everything, but it's the only logical explination I can come up with.

That would be the third pin on every grounded cord in the country. Not to mention that a case sitting on the ground is going to be earthed most of the time anyway and it would be very difficult for it to build up any sort of charge at all. Plus where is this static coming from, I can't imagine you are sliding your case around the carpet, it doesn't just come from nowhere you know. So your explanation is totally illogical. :p

He woulda had to have left the machine unplugged (and ungrounded) for the static to kill the machine..
What most likely happened is that the bits got stuck inside the wires and wouldn't move anymore; he shoulda used wd40.exe before turning the machine off to prevent this.
:D

As for the original poster of the thread, good job! And I like the front. :)

Originally posted by n1m4
that thing must make some NOISE

it really aint that bad if i turn all the fans down to 5v, i have to leave it on all the time at the moment cuz im the server in my house, even with it right next to my bed i dont have any problem getting to sleep. it does sound like a small jumbo taking off when everythings turned up but who cares how much noise your case makes when your playing shoot em ups.

I love the drilled logo up front... looks really clean... and oh - nice OC...

cheers TheMostWantedPolishTwin, the drilled logo worked even better then i thought it would. as for the oc that 1700 has unfortunatly gone because the multi suddenly became locked and i couldnt puch the fsb as high as i would have liked. lukily i swapped it for a new 1800 that sits pretty at 230 x 10 and i know it'll go higher, just need some time to find its limit.

just had a quick play and the 1800 is just as good as the 1700, it's stable at 2.5 ghz and will post at 2.6 which is more than the 17 would, have to wait a bit to see if some as5 will help at all and start playing with the fsb some more.

looks nice. i didn't go to such extreme lengths to cool my comp, i just use tornados (2), leave the side panel off, and open my window. (the tornados are on a rheobus, i only turn them up when i'm feeling insane) i really wish i could push my stuff more with all this l33t cooling (heh) but i have a 9000pro (297/297) and a 2100 paly (1900 @ 1.85 volts) and neither one has much left in it:(.

nice oc you got going tho.

Back