Droid 2 or Droid x

Mtt83

Limp Gawd
I am switching to verizon because my current service stinks. Anyone know what the battery life is like on these phones. Im also trying to weigh the physical buttons on the x vs the capacitive buttons on the d2. Anyone used one or both of these that feel like sharing their experience?

I like the capacitive buttons much better.

Personal preference of course.. I love the X but it felt awfully weird going from tapping in digits on a touch screen to pressing a physical button. Just didn't feel natural.

Both phones will have your usual smartphone battery life -- they will both drain pretty quick if you don't turn off unused services and/or kill background apps. There are so many variables that will determine how well your battery lasts. Check out this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25319/complete-guide-to-maximizing-your-android-phones-battery-life/

I don't own either of the phones (I've played with them, though) but I can tell you that my original droid, with medium usage, will last me all through the day (unplugged at 6AM, plugged back in at ~10pm) without a problem. Of course, I have a low voltage kernel and modified everything to save power, so YMMV.

Good luck!

Battery on D2 is nearly 2x that of the Incredible. In other words, it's very good. 1st smartphone since the Storm to go 2 days wo/ charging. It's gotta be moto optimization/new hw, possibly newer TIOMAP clocking smarter, or froyo. Whatever it is, I'm impressed.

I like the capacitive buttons much better.
Me too, me too. Tap to tap feel much more natural than tap to click.

I don't own either of the phones (I've played with them, though) but I can tell you that my original droid, with medium usage, will last me all through the day (unplugged at 6AM, plugged back in at ~10pm) without a problem. Of course, I have a low voltage kernel and modified everything to save power, so YMMV.
How long did your OG DROID last on stock Eclair? I could barely get through the day (unplugged @ 8AM, looking for power around 6PM).

Battery on D2 is nearly 2x that of the Incredible. In other words, it's very good. 1st smartphone since the Storm to go 2 days wo/ charging. It's gotta be moto optimization/new hw, possibly newer TIOMAP clocking smarter, or froyo. Whatever it is, I'm impressed.

How long did your OG DROID last on stock Eclair? I could barely get through the day (unplugged @ 8AM, looking for power around 6PM).

I don't rememeber honestly -- I bought it and had loaded custom stuff up the first day. :p

I just got my D2, I dunno about the buttons, because I didn't play with the ones on the X. But as far as battery life goes, I can get all day out of mine (7AM - 10 PM) and I'm running a ton of crap and haven't modified anything yet to save any kind of power.

Does Droid 2 have 720p recording? I'm comparing the two and other than the screen size and keyboard that was the only other big difference I saw.

No it does not do HD video. The was going to be one of the main reasons I was GOING to go with the X, but after holding it, the size just wasn't worth it, its way too big.

I haven't held or played with either, but I have an original Droid which is identical hardware aside from slight cosmetic changes, keyboard, CPU and RAM. I'd have to say, if you have smaller hands, then go with the Droid because I have extremely small hands (almost like thos BK commercials, lol) and can barely reach the top of my Droid with my thumb when I'm holding it with one hand, so there's no way I could easily handle the X one-handedly.

Battery life is an easy/cheap fix (not that it's a problem) for the Droid 2 too since the batteries are less than $6.50 shipped and the X's battery is $45. I got 2 of those Droid batteries (the Droid and D2 use the exact same battery) last week for $1.23 a piece + shipping, lol. They work great, just like the original battery when I first got my phone (my original battery started dying pretty fast past 50% after 8 months). Yesterday, with moderate usage throughout the day (lots of txting, some browsing and gaming), I went from 8 AM to 2 AM and had 20% left when I plugged in. I'm running a LV kernel too though.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't really recommend any Android phone with a tacked-on UI after using the moto droid with stock Android for so long.

Can't wait for Gingerbread which should begin to kill off these horrible add-on UIs, esp since Google hired the interface designer from the Palm camp.

I currently have the droid 2 and i am returning it for the droid x. the droid 2 seems to be pretty thick and slightly on the heavier side for a phone, so id rather have the X which is thinner.

ive read that the virtual keyboard on the droid x isnt too bad so id rather have more screen real estate then a physical keyboard. Also, when looking at the droid 2 in landscape mode, it seems like there isnt that much room from top to bottom, it seems smaller then the iphone. I feel like this screen is thinner then the iphone but longer.

the droid 2 doesnt have 720p video and i think i read the camera is better on the x as well. the only issue with the X is the wait.

It is. Because of the aspect ratio being 16 x 9 on the Droid's. Iphone is much wider so portrait browsing is easier. DX is a monster anyway, so u should be quite happy with it.

Also, swype is the good times!

I didn't care for the Droid X when I looked at it. It was mainly the excessive length of it that bothered me. Personally the Droid 2 seems more appealing. I also got to handle the Galaxy S this last weekend. I'm pretty impressed with it as well.

I'm having a really tough time deciding between those two. Aside from the signal issues, D2 stomps all over my original DROID.

-domed keys
-bigger keys
-centered keys
-more travel
-double wide shift and alt keys
-alt lock button

And that's just the keyboard. Double the ram, more efficient cpu, MUCH improved touch screen/sensor, and a power button that doesn't piss me off like the OG DROID. I EVEN PREFER THE OVERALL COSMETIC CHANGES TO THE FRONT OF THE UNIT.

Last edited:

My Milestone (Droid on HSPA basically. ) running 2.1 w/ a 1ghz overclock (And the voltage to support it. ) runs down to about 40% after a 14 hour day... With a LOT of data usage. Some wifi, mostly 3g.

That's fantastic. I'm sure the stock firmwares are more conservative in their lowering of the voltage. Who knows if/when the D2 will get root though.

Why not the Incredible? It is still a superb Android phone. It's not too small and it's not too big. Plus Sense > MotoWhatever the hell they call Blur now.

I Preferred the larger screen, so DX for me. and coming from iPhone..I am way happier ...this DX so rocks!

I think that I'd prefer the larger screen as well, which is why I'm leaning towards the X. I'm just worried that I'll hate the physical buttons and that it may have much worse battery life due to the larger screen.

Also, since the X has the same resolution as the d2 but a larger screen, how much poorer will image quality be?

Also, since the X has the same resolution as the d2 but a larger screen, how much poorer will image quality be?

The screen quality of the X is just fine despite it being much larger.

Again, I point to my last post, why is everyone counting the Incredible out of the equation?

Again, I point to my last post, why is everyone counting the Incredible out of the equation?

I'm not interested in the incredible because I do not like the sense ui.

I think its because the incredible isnt the fastest phone anymore. Once Droid X receives froyo, that and the D2 will be the fastest phones.

Its sad to say but the incredible is becoming obsolete, especialyl with droid pro coming out in november.

I'm not interested in the incredible because I do not like the sense ui.
That's too bad, it's the only browser that resizes AND centers text when using pinch to zoom. Stock Android browsers such as those on the D1, the blurish D2, DX, and touchwizzed Samsung Galaxy only do this when double tapping. That only gives you one level of zoom. And on a smaller phone like the D1 or D2, it's not enough. So you then have to pinch and zoom for the right size. And then you have to double tap to center. Instead of just pinch to zooming and being done with it. HTC's sense phone's also have smoother pinch to zooms.

I think its because the incredible isnt the fastest phone anymore.
I've owned the Eris, D1, Incredible, and the D2. Not only is the Incredible smooth like an iPhone, but it's by far the fastest GUI of any of Verizon's offerings. The Eris of course, and the D1,D2 both lag and chop all over the place. I'm not sure if it's snapdragon or sense, but it was the only phone that made Android feel like it was out of beta.

Granted, browsing web pages IS faster on the D2 because of Froyo, but it's still not smooth. And the D2, or mine anyway likes to drop signal all day long, so it's fast, slow, fast, slow, dead...etc. My only complaints w/ the D2 are that signal issue and the quirky lag or GUI bugs. Other than that it's a really, really nice phone.

I think its because the incredible isnt the fastest phone anymore. Once Droid X receives froyo, that and the D2 will be the fastest phones.

Its sad to say but the incredible is becoming obsolete, especialyl with droid pro coming out in november.

The incredible still has a 1GHz Snapdragon. It is by no means a slow phone. The Incredible is also receiving Froyo.

And the Droid Pro is likely to be the D2 with global capabilities:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/exclusive-droid-pro-is-the-global-version-of-the-droid-2-lg-en/

I just picked up a Droid 2, wanted the Droid X but just can't make the transition to completely touch screen . Is there a way I can root the Droid 2?

I just picked up a Droid 2, wanted the Droid X but just can't make the transition to completely touch screen . Is there a way I can root the Droid 2?

Do yourself a favor and download Swype on your new Droid 2. Spend the next 28 days or so of your 30 day return period getting used to it. Then on the 29th day take it back and get a Droid X.

Hardware keyboards are for squares, maaan.

Haha this is my first touch screen and I have fat fingers... I guess I'm a square. I have actually been searching for swype all day yesterday on android market and can't find it. Did you get it from market or elsewhere?

I thought Swype is preloaded with the D2? It should be under the options where you select your virtual keyboard.

Thanks man. Oh wow I feel stupid now. Yea you were correct ebs5049, it is preloaded with my Droid 2 and located in the keyboard options. Just in the past 5 minutes my email/text skills have increased 50%.

Give it another couple weeks and you'll be ready to return it for a Droid X and use Swype full time, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts.

I must admit after using swype for a little while I'm starting to wonder if I really need a hardware keyboard at all. It's still helpful for the ability to see the screen while you type, but it's hard tho argue with the ease of holding a phone like the incredible or a galaxy.

I must admit after using swype for a little while I'm starting to wonder if I really need a hardware keyboard at all. It's still helpful for the ability to see the screen while you type, but it's hard tho argue with the ease of holding a phone like the incredible or a galaxy.

I just picked up a Galaxy last night. I just tried the Swipe thing this morning. It takes some getting used to, but its a nifty feature. I thought I'd miss the hardware keyboard I had on my LG Env Touch, but honestly the touch screen keyboard works just as well. If I can get used to Swipe, I'm sure I won't miss the physical keyboard at all.

Nice! How do you like it? How warm does it get?

Thing with swype is that you can be very sloppy with it and still get great results. You just have to trust it.

As for the keyboard or not issue, just consider what you do more...read or type? For me, the answer is easy.

Last edited:
Back