DRM Removal Software (Legal)

mt_100

Limp Gawd
I currently use an older version of MuvAudio to convert my music (purchased from Rhapsody legally) to MP3 files without DRM on them because my player doesn't support it and Rhapsody's software is a pain in the ass.

I don't like that it installs the Virtual Audio Cables and then has to play and record the track to do the conversion taking the full playing time of the track. Although it can do five tracks at once it is a pain.

I was looking for a better software to do this as well as convert video files. I say the Danusoft Digital Media Converter Pro and it seems to do everything I want for $40 so the price seems great. The question is, can it do lossless conversion of the DRM files or does it do the same recording as MuvAudio?

Any other software Packages out there that do what I am looking for?

You can't circumvent DRM "legally" in the US, except for a few special cases (research, accessibility, etc), without running afoul of the DMCA. All WMA unprotect programs probably work the same, by using a digital loopback to record the audio as it's played back. Recompressing at that point causes more losses.

Do whatever you want though. You can buy DRM-free tracks if you want, but "buying" probably isn't the real issue (rent to own thousands of tracks, just $8/month!). :p

Yes, now I am buying DRM free tracks and love it. I just have a problem with the 400 or so DRM track I had already bought. Crapsody just doesn't want to sync them all the time.

You can't circumvent DRM "legally" in the US, except for a few special cases (research, accessibility, etc), without running afoul of the DMCA. All WMA unprotect programs probably work the same, by using a digital loopback to record the audio as it's played back. Recompressing at that point causes more losses.

Do whatever you want though. You can buy DRM-free tracks if you want, but "buying" probably isn't the real issue (rent to own thousands of tracks, just $8/month!). :p

An example of such digital loopback software would be Tunebite. Works great. It's a gray area because on one hand you're violating DRM, but on the other hand you're exercising your rights to backing up your data.

But you can always simply burn your DRM songs onto CD as CD Audio, and viola, DRM's gone next time you rip that CD. Basically how Tunebite works, minus the burning.

Very true, just takes time same as MuvAudio. I took a look at FairUse4WM but it needs WMP versions that are special. I have WMP 10 but because I update my PC regularly the license versions for DRM are newer than what the app needs.

Guess I will just setup MuvAudio to run overnight or something and be done with it.

Thanks for your help.

You could always install XP with WMP10 in a virtual machine (VirtualBox, VirtualPC 2007, VMWare) to "do the deed" - just remember not to update the licensing structure of WMP10 as required.

True, unfortunately my virtual machine of XP has already been updated too. I could always make another since it is so darn easy though.

Back