• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DRM media limitations?

Sireal

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
98
I have a Windows Home Server machine I would like to use as central storage place for all my music and movies that are DRM protected. I realize I can store them there but is there a way to be able to stream them to various pc's (Vista Ultimate, XP Pro, Xp Home) without having the DRM rights thing get in the way?

One of the main reasons I would like to do this is because I do alot of tweaking, experimenting etc. with my pc's and I tend to reload OS's fairly regularly which wreaks havoc with DRM files (yes I'm aware you can back them up but that doesn't always get done).

The only way I could think of would be to use RDC and of course have the WHS machine be the "owner" of the media so that the rights would be in place on it. The obvious problem there is that I doubt an RDC connection has the robustness needed to view videos without hiccups. Music would probably work since it wouldn't have the bandwidth requirements that a video would.

Any ideas or solutions would be much appreciated!
 
The most straightforward answer would be to not use DRM files.

The second most straightforward would be to NOT constantly reinstall operating systems on fileservers, media servers and what have you. Find a stable, working environment and stick with it, on the principle that it's better to not embarass yourself in front of mates on saturday night trying to show off your flash HTPC that doesnt work because you were mucking around installing Windows Black XP L33t Edition With More Peanut Butter on Friday night.
 
Umm...I appreciate the response but I'm not mucking around with my servers and I don't own an htpc specifically. My daily use pc's are what I use for experimenting etc., partly due to my job and the fact they are what I designated for the purpose. I do tend to use them for downloading "legal" music or movie's but then that particular pc is tied to the DRM for that media and I want to get away from that. I would like to use the WHS as the owner of said material and then just stream the media to my other pc's thereby eliminating any rights issues, assuming of course it's not illegal to do that as well.

having said that how does the DRM work when you use an XBox 360 to play media that's stored on another machine? Do the rights still belong to the originating machine or are they transferred to the 360? This is similer to what I want to do with my WHS and other pc's.
 
Ok after some searching I found something called TVersity that may do what I want. I haven't tried it yet due to the fact that my WHS machine doesn't seem to like my onboard sound chip. Assuming I get that problem solved I will see if this is what I'm looking for and will post back with my results.
 
Back
Top