Drivers

• Thread starter Deleted member 76813
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 76813

Hi, quick question. I just built a new rig and booted it up the other day. I installed Windows XP, all the essential updates, and the essential drivers such as nForce3, Audigy2, ForceWare, and SATA. But I noticed that my mouse/keyboard/monitor also have drivers on the manufactorer's sites for their own products. Is there really a point to installing these drivers for performance or would they just create more things under msconfig that I won't ever need? I mean when are monitor drivers used? Thanks.

I have monitor drivers don't use then,, they screwed my settings actually.. with little things like mice and keyboard.. i woudln't bother.. if it ain't broke don't fix it.. is what i say..

For both keyboards and mice, they might be neccesary to use what extra buttons you have.
If these work, or you don't want/need them, skip them.

As for the monitor, there might be something useful there. The monitor definition can be used instead of the default plug-and-play monitor, and might contain more correct information than what is autodetected. I doubt the color profile is important to you.
I've also seen one useful monitor utillity (from samsung, though I suspect at least Eizo have something similar): By an usb cable, you can adjust all monitor settings (size, position, etc.) from a windows program. Neat little thing.
I suggest you look at the descritions and see if it sounds useful.

You can set the quality of the monitor's color to various reference standards with profiles. Some are monitor brand dependent, and others are software, light temperature, or industry reference based. You would want them if you have a high performance monitor, and if you do a lot of critical photo/video/illustration work with the machine...like if you do advertising for publication, for example. If you are a guy who surfs the net and plays games, screw it.

Moral: [H]ard guys generally don't need no ghey color profiles, and we don't need Pantone to tell us what color pink is. :D

I agree with the others - unless you have some special features that need special drivers, I would just use the generic drivers.

Back