Drivers wont properly integrate into image with Target Manager on Windows Embedded...

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Using Embedded Standard 2009. I ran tap.exe from a fully functional Windows XP environment and used the output to build my image. Using component manager I imported all of the INFs and I got all but one of them to work. After building my image and putting it on a system the drivers are not detected and installed for the devices.

Im new to Windows Embedded... if anyone knows of a good forum that has some good info then let me know.

There are numerous possibilities for your issue. Did you create a repository for the driver's files and point each component to that repository? Did you remember to import those new driver components into your embedded database? Add them to the build in Target Designer?

Look for any errors or warnings after you build the image in target designer. They may clue you in to what is going wrong. Particularly if it can't find the files specified.

You'll probably find a lot more answers and ideas on microsoft's newsgroup for XP embedded:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...t.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Did you remember to import those new driver components into your embedded database? Add them to the build in Target Designer?
I did that.

Did you create a repository for the driver's files and point each component to that repository?
I have not figured out how to properly do that. Im pointing to the directories of the files. Wanna give me a quick run down? All of the tutorials on how to imports drivers I have found dont mention repositories.

Last edited:
After you import the driver's inf file into component designer, expand the components it creates and look at the file requirements for each component. Gather all those files into a single folder, preferably near where the component file is saved.

Back in component designer, under the components tree is the repository tree. Right click there and add a new repository. In the properties of the new repository set the source path to the folder where you gathered all your files. And lastly, go back to each of your components and in it's properties set the repository to the one you just created.

Save and re-import your sld file to the database. Rebuild in target designer.

These = the required files? Thanks for the help =).
example.jpg

That be them. Though there's no need to create a component for the Microsoft UAA driver. That should already be in the base database or one of the feature updates. The fact that the icon is greyed out means you have a newer version already. :)

Cool cool. Sounds good. Thanks again for the help... Im going to play around with it.

:D

Sometimes when importing drivers there are no components. Im importing the nvidia video driver right now and I get an error that says, "An error occured while getting the vendors list section name".

Sorry to bother!

EDIT: SNAP! I think I figured it out. I defined a custom parsing option and put in what was under the manufacturer info in the INF. I actually remember seeing that in some of my google searching.

Ya some manuf's neglect to put in the NT.5.1 section in the inf that it looks for. Sounds like you got it licked though.

How do I make sure I integrate generic plug and play drivers for something such as USB thumb drives? The first image I made didnt work with my thumb drives.

Last edited:
Built the new image and half the drivers still arent installing without manually installing them. I did everything perfect with the video drivers and had no errors and thats among the drivers that arent working.

Is there a way to delete all of the custom components that Ive imported into the database? There seem to be duplicates and I dont know which the image is using so Ide like to delete them all and reimport ones that I know are "good"...

For your thumbdrives make sure you include the USB Mass Storage Device driver under Hardware.

As to your drivers not installing properly, double check where the files are being placed. Especially the INF, which should be under Windows\INF. Look for any errors in the FBA log file that might explain what's happening.

You can remove custom components through the Component Database Manager under the component tab.

I CANNOT get the sound driver to work correctly. I havent been able to get it to work correctly after making a component and putting it all in the database... but I cant even get it to work just by straight installing it. Ive read a few things through google searches that say quite a few people have issues building in nvidia video drivers and anything Realtek...

Every time I go to install the driver on a working image I get like 5 or 6 errors that pop up and make me navigate to random files for the driver to continue loading. At the end a Windows box will pop up and say it was not installed correctly.

Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager opens after the drivers are installed and I can do the sound test - it DOES work. If I open Sounds and Audio Devices from the control panel everything is greyed out and nothing is selectable.

Last edited:
I've had issues with the realtek drivers as well. What I've found works is not to import the INF file with component designer. Instead create a new component from scratch, add all the files needed making sure they are placed in the proper folder, and the inf file is in windows\inf.

Add component dependencies on:
Kernel Streaming User Mode Support
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
Primitive: Drmk.sys
Primitive: Ks.inf
Primitive: Ks.sys
Primitive: Portcls.sys
Primitive: Stream.sys
Primitive: Wdmaud.drv

Also make sure the class installers and codevice installers for the hardware are included in the image. And let PnP sort it out during the first boot. I use the same approach with most video drivers as well.

Thanks for all your help. Windows Embedded is fun but a PITA. :D

Did some more fiddling around and got all of the drivers working. I understand how to do the driver components now... lol.

BUT... the bad news... audio drivers still dont work. There are no yellow devices in device manager and when I try to reinstall the drivers using the EXE supplied by Realtek then the installation asks for a bunch of files such as portcls.sys, wdmaud, ks...

Back