Driverless NIC's?

ManCannon

2[H]4U
Are there any? I need a new NIC that will work with XP64, and since I doubt there are many 64bit drivers out there, I was wondering if there were any that required no drivers. And if not, are there any that have been confirmed to have 64bit drivers?

Every piece of hardware requires drivers.

I think every major manufacture makes 64 bit drivers for thier hardware.

Well the only one I saw on Linksys' site didn't seem to have 64bit drivers. It's just going to really suck if I go into town and buy a card, only to find out it doesn't have 64bit drivers and I can't use it. I'd like to use the internet tonight.

ManCannon said:
Well the only one I saw on Linksys' site didn't seem to have 64bit drivers. It's just going to really suck if I go into town and buy a card, only to find out it doesn't have 64bit drivers and I can't use it. I'd like to use the internet tonight.

Then use that internet, look on newegg, find a NIC that has 64bit support, then go to the store and buy it.

Im guessing you could check Microsofts site, as they should have a Hardware compatibility list up somewhere for XP Pro 64

I think if you dig a bit deeper you could find a nic that would suit your needs just fine. Try 3com, d-link, linksys, intel, those are the few that come to my mind, I am sure an old school 3com card has driver support built in to windows much like it does in 2k/xp.

Most NICs are supported by Windows x64 out-of-the-box. My cheap Intel PCI 10/100 card worked just fine from the get-go (as well my integrated nForce 3 250 Gb gigabit ethernet - with the nForce x64 driver).

Thanks, that's what I meant by driverless. As in, it's supported out of the box. I went to Circuit City and bought a Belkin, worked perfectly as soon as I put it in, no extra drivers needed.

If the vendor of your card doesn't have drivers, check with the chipset manufacturer. The problem I have is lack of support for some wifi chipsets.

"Thanks, that's what I meant by driverless. As in, it's supported out of the box" = Native Drivers.

And that's why I said "no extra drivers" needed. I realize there are standard drivers built into windows, I was just looking for a NIC that someone knew would work with them. Driverless in the sense that I don't have to hun down some 64bit drivers that may or may not exist. I guess the thread title should have been "Painless NIC's" :D.

Back