Driver Scape drivers

carlmart

Gawd
Are Driver Scape drivers reliable?

I need to run Windows XP on my Gigabyte Z97X, and GB does not provide any XP drivers.

Driver Scape does, but I wonder if there are any security issues with them.

I would prefer to run XP from a CD, but I couldn't find out how.

The reason is that there's a program I use to make 3D subtitles, and it doesn't seem to run as it did with Windows 7 or Windows 10. The program was designed for XP, and my guess is some W7 update messed with it or some other thing it used, and it got bad.

Of course I tried to find out about these issues, but no one could answer them.

Are Driver Scape drivers reliable?

I need to run Windows XP on my Gigabyte Z97X, and GB does not provide any XP drivers.

Driver Scape does, but I wonder if there are any security issues with them.

I would prefer to run XP from a CD, but I couldn't find out how.

The reason is that there's a program I use to make 3D subtitles, and it doesn't seem to run as it did with Windows 7 or Windows 10. The program was designed for XP, and my guess is some W7 update messed with it or some other thing it used, and it got bad.

Of course I tried to find out about these issues, but no one could answer them.
So Driver Scape doesn't write their own drivers, they just collect drivers. Often times specific manufacturers will provide drivers for hardware themself after normal support has ended. For example, I had an old Pentium D computer with an Intel brand motherboard that I installed 7 on (several years ago). Intel did not make a driver available for the MEI for that chipset for Windows 7 officially. However, I did find another manufacturer did (I think it was Gateway computers). I was able to use that driver.

In this case, if you're finding XP drivers for your stuff that your manufacturer doesn't have available for download, the drivers are probably from another manufacturer. Driver Scape just extracts the drivers from the setup programs and distributes them that way. The setup programs would normally detect incompatibility and not allow you to install them.

Regarding the specific software you are saying is not compatible with 7, as someone pointed out, after you install it go into the compatibility mode and set it to XP. You may even need to set the installer setup.exe file in XP compatibility (you can do this even on a DVD). Setting compatibility mode.

I wonder if there are any security issues with them.
Manufacturers have a tendency to make crappier drivers (they get money from hardware not software); if you want stable ones with less issues then you use Microsoft ones, but that also (usually) means less features/performance. There are exceptions of course.
Using XP is a security issue, let alone unmaintained drivers from however long ago (wouldn't be a bad idea to block the net connection).

You can try XP in a VM. VirtualBox has XP drivers you can install for 3d acceleration.
Have you looked into using another 3d subtitle software? What are you using/what issues are you encountering with the software in question? If it's available I'm happy to take a look and see if it's just an issue on your end.

Yes, the program 3D subtitler is freeware and available.

What you do is load an srt sub and convert it to dual screen subs.

What changed is the color of the subs, that instead of the white or yellow you assign, show in dark violet or change color from one to the next.

You should need a 3D film to see if it works, of course.

I didn't try changing the compatibility, but I doubt the problem is there. I will try that anyway.

For now, I can't find an ethernet driver for this MB. But that doesn't mean I can do what I need on XP not connected to wall, and then go back to W7.

Ah, no 3D movies here :)
Looking at the pngs it produces/checking it in a converting program; I seem to be able to pick white or yellow? Could it be the player you're using?
subtitle_434.png

No, it's not. It happens on VLC on different computers.

3D subs I did some time go play fine. So the problem started later.

I always distrust updates, so maybe that's what happened. For a long time I never updated Windows 7, as I had done in XP, as my games got bugged with updates.

But lately I got lazier there. Maybe I should go back to my ways, that did seem to work.

Well, guys. It seems I'm in charge again with 3D Subtitler.

I did try the compatibility thing, and it does seem to work.

In any case, I think I will go on with the XP thing.

There seems to be a non-Microsoft XP version, called Student edition, released last January. New drivers and all.

Back