Driver question

Mike2007x86

Weaksauce
I have a question for driver 290.36 beta

What is the proper way to setup a game profile for a game like skyrim.
I added the new application located in steamapps/common/skyrim

I then set the profile up like this:
Ambient Occlusion Not Supported for this application
16xAF
Gamma Correction On
Enhance The Application
4x
Supersampling
(All)
(3)
single display performance
prefer maximium performance
off
clamp
high quality
on (use global setting auto)
on
off
force off

Now my question is, do I just go ingame and turn on 2x MSAA in the ingame settings to make everything work or what? I noticed that when setting up individual game profiles instead of changing global settings that the override application option is gone.

Can I turn off ingame AA and make the profile only use 4x MSAA?
Just trying to understand how the individual profiles work vs my normal way of just changing all of the global options at once.

thanks

What you've described is pretty much how it goes, with the Nvidia settings over-riding the in game settings (or adding to them sometimes) when you have your settings.

I also hate how the damn thing never finds all of your installed games and in cases like Skyrim I also have the "not supported" for AO...which was one of the main things in the beta drivers; to enable AO with the Nvidia control panel! Blarg!

Use nvidia inspector.

And as for driver level SSAO in skyrim all you need to do is use the FO3 compatibility bits. Bethesda has a habit of reusing code.

Can I turn off ingame AA and make the profile only use 4x MSAA?

Yes but you will have to change the AA mode from enhance to override.

Now my question is, do I just go ingame and turn on 2x MSAA in the ingame settings to make everything work or what?

Depends on what you want to do. If the game has built in MSAA support you should set AA mode to application controlled and use the application to set MSAA.

I noticed that when setting up individual game profiles instead of changing global settings that the override application option is gone.

It is? Hmmm, that's weird. I haven't used nvcp in years ever since I discovered nhancer and nvidia inspector. I've never had that problem before.

Just trying to understand how the individual profiles work vs my normal way of just changing all of the global options at once.

If any of the profile settings are different from the global options the profile setting will override the global setting for that particular application.

I should also point out that you should set maximum number of prerendered frames to 0 in skyrim (and quite a few other games) to avoid input lag and microstuttering. I just leave it set to 0 in global personally.

Also forcing vsync off in nvcp might not disable vsync in skyrim. Make sure it's turned off in the game .ini files.

It would also be nice if you listed the settings instead of just saying:
on (use global setting auto)
on
off

Back