• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Driver problem, "The data is invalid."

sykotic

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
154
Ok my little brothers machine has been running fine for a long time up until a few days ago, it's probably something he did but I can't seem to figure it out. His system:
Athlon XP 1900+
ECS K7S5A v3.1(onboard audio & lan)
512mb PC2100 ddr memory
Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! CT4760 sound card
GeForce3 video card

Ok anyway the issue is only with a sound card, he booted up yesterday and no sound, I go to reinstall soundcard drivers and it copies all files over and then skips over and gives the error "The data is invalid." I tried removing the soundblaster drivers then removing the card and enabling onboard audio, downloaded it's drivers and install them and it gives the same error. I tried putting in a 56k modem with a built on sound card, it installs the modem fine but when it goes to install the audio drivers for the card it gives the same error. It seems to be only sound card drivers that cause this and it labels the device MEDIA in the device manager when it gets the error. Everything else functions perfectly except for the sound card.

I have researched the error and most people have fixed it by changing permissions in the registry for the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI and allowing the user account full control, but no such luck for me.

Any suggestions?
 
Have you tried disabling the on-board audio and installing the newest Live! drivers? Sounds (no pun intended :p ) like something in windows is corrupt regarding sound if both devices do not work, have you tried repairing windows?
 
Yea that was the way I tried it first, originally onboard was disabled, I downloaded newest drivers and tried that. I've tried all kinds of sound cards and combinations of things but nothing audio wise will work, yea I guess I will try to do a repair installation.
 
Back
Top