Driver, power, or OS issue?

rastaban

Gawd
I've been having a peculiar problem with my Skylake build since I put it together a few weeks ago. Quick spec list:

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.5GHz stable (OC does not seem to affect problem)
MB: Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH (latest UEFI version F5)
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200MHz 16-16-16-36 1.35V via XMP
VGA: XFX 7850 DD Black Edition
-- stock clocks, max power limit, Crimson 16.5.2
-- requires CSM enabled to boot with UEFI boot of OS
-- mini-DP output to DP monitor
SSD: PCI-E version of Intel 750 400GB (cuts VGA to x8)
PSU: Seasonic X750 (exactly 6 yrs old now)

The Problem:
Whenever I leave this system idle for an extended period (10-20 hrs), it locks up. No BSOD, just a black screen with no mouse or keyboard response. The monitor's backlight is still on, and if I turn the monitor off and on again, it's the same black screen but with the message "entering power save mode" from the monitor OSD. I can only hard shutdown and restart.

- When I first built the system, I got system lockups where the screen froze mid-activity with no mouse/kb response, but that has not happened since stabilizing the OC, swapping the RAM to QVL, and rolling back the driver from Crimson 16.5.3. to 16.5.2.

- I even tried swapping out the VGA for a friend's Strix GTX960 and it still locked, also after an extended period

- The problem only happens when I leave the system on overnight (for testing) or when I am not around. I travel fairly frequently so I always keep it on for remote access.

Power Settings:
- toggling screen saver doesn't seem to affect anything
- toggling "turn of hard disks after" to NEVER or 20min makes no difference
- toggling PCI-E link-state power makes no difference
- "put computer to sleep after" is set to NEVER
- S3 sleep enabled in UEFI, S5/6/7/8 disabled (although didn't seem to make a difference when enabled)
- I don't think it's a PSU issue because everything was fine in the old Haswell build just before

At this point I'm not sure what to try next, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
(crossing my fingers it's not the board)

I'll give disabling S3 a try. Does this mean my normal sleep mode wont work manually?

My m/kb are both wired USB. Logitech G9x and Ducky Shine 5.

probably. sleep mode has always been a problem. some systems it works fine some don't.

Disabling S3 allowed the system to survive thru the night without freezing. But unfortunately, after a manual sleep during the day today, the system locked up again (no mouse/kb response) when playing a youtube video. I really can't tell if it's a graphics or a mobo problem.

no sleep for you!
sleep issues, Idk why it happens, I guess its just certain hardware combos but sleep function has always been flakey. probably nothing you do will fix it.
now the lockup during yt playback, did the system keep playing the video and you just lost m/kb use? if that is the case try and get it to do it again and then hit the power button once to see if windows shuts down and powers off. it this works then it is an issues with the mobos usb. try a different usb port, switch from usb 3 to 2 port, try the very top ports too. my mobo, also a GB has specific ports at the top for usb m/kb where the ps2 ports used to be. my board has a single ps2 and two usb there and I find that I have to use those usb ports otherwise I lose m/kb comm. maybe look for updated usb drivers on GBs site too.

Agree with the sleep thing - I've had a lot of systems where any overclock just seems to break sleep for whatever reason, but everything else works just find.

Damn, I was really really hoping this wasn't a board problem like my old EVGA X58 Classified that had a broken sleep function when OCed.
pendragon1
The yt video froze just as it did before. Screen, sound, mouse/kb everything frozen with disks and fans still running. I had to force shutdown by holding the power button for 4s. It then rebooted normally (fast boot & safe boot both disabled).
Both my mouse and kb are already USB hardwired to the topmost USB 2.0 ports on the mobo by the PS2 port.

I'll leave it on overnight again and see what happens.

Great Tiger
I do have a spare HDD and I guess I'll have to try that method if I don't get anywhere in a week. I'm just afraid that if I disconnect all my drives from the board and do the test, when I reconnect everything I'll have OS issues which I really can't afford to fix with a reinstall.

hmmm... maybe your oc isn't as stable as you think. try backing it off just a tad or up voltage a tiny bit. see if that helps.

Back