Driver Install: the INF file was not found

Volume

2[H]4U
SOLVED see 2 posts below

This issue is driving me insane. To update to the new Catalyst, I used the same method I've always used:

1. Boot to Safe Mode
2. Run Driver Cleaner for all ATI categories
3. Boot to Windows normally
4. Install new Catalyst suite

Now, at step 4, I get as far as installing the Catalyst Control Center, but as soon as it starts installing anything driver-related, I get the error "Driver Install: the INF file was not found." With no choice but to simply press "OK."

I've searched around on Google and tried someone's method of installing the adapter via Device Manager and pointing it to an extracted INF from the failed Catalyst install, and then trying to run the install again, but NO LUCK.

This issue seems pretty hopeless, and although I want to avoid it, it seems like it may be one of those great catch-22 errors that ATI is so famous for causing and will require me to reinstall Windows.

Note that I am using Windows7, however, I have used this method on previous Catalyst installs flawlessly. I've heard of this issue on Vista as well while browsing Google.

Anyone run into this before?

Last edited:
if you are running windows 7, there is NO reason for you to do this. All you have to do is install the driver on top of your currently used driver, and it will unload the current, and then load the newly installed driver.

That aside, Try this:

Uninstall the driver through Add/Remove programs. Login to windows normally, and check windows update, they will have the AUGUST 2009 Driver for Radeon cards. Install that and reboot your pc. Then finally install the drivers again.

if you are running windows 7, there is NO reason for you to do this. All you have to do is install the driver on top of your currently used driver, and it will unload the current, and then load the newly installed driver.

Ah, thank you for this. Never knew that. Another reason for me to buy 7 this fall. :)

I actually came back here because I just fixed the problem. I figure this thread may be useful for anyone else that runs into the same issue.

1. After receiving the error, use Device Manager to update the driver, navigating to the C:/ATI directory and checking the "search subfolders" box.
2. Restart
3. Run Catalyst installer again and this time select Uninstall to get rid of Catalyst Control Center as well as anything else it finds.
4. Run Catalyst yet again, this time doing a normal install (this neatly installs Control Center along with whatever else you chose on top of the new updated driver we installed in step 1.

Hope this helps.

Ah, thank you for this. Never knew that. Another reason for me to buy 7 this fall. :)

I actually came back here because I just fixed the problem. I figure this thread may be useful for anyone else that runs into the same issue.

1. After receiving the error, use Device Manager to update the driver, navigating to the C:/ATI directory and checking the "search subfolders" box.
2. Restart
3. Run Catalyst installer again and this time select Uninstall to get rid of Catalyst Control Center as well as anything else it finds.
4. Run Catalyst yet again, this time doing a normal install (this neatly installs Control Center along with whatever else you chose on top of the new updated driver we installed in step 1.

Hope this helps.

It's the features of the WDDM 1.1 (also paired with Vista) It made upgrading drivers a breeze for me since I switched to vista over 16 months ago. And glad you fixed it, and don't do something like this again! it's a waste of time, and effort for something very trivial.

Going to dig up this old thread to say thank you to the OP. Had the same issue and this worked beautifully.

resurrecting this old thread because it worked for me last night.

Google and [H]Forum saved the day....:D

Didn't work for me :)

When you say "normal install", do you mean Express install or Custom Install?

Didn't work for me :)

When you say "normal install", do you mean Express install or Custom Install?

I simply installed Cat 11.8 as I normally would.....custom install.....drivers,CCC, nothing else.

Nope, didnt work for me, but I found a different solution.

I uninstalled all AMD drivers/software and ran dirvesweep to start all over again.

Then I went back and installed the previous working version i had (11.7). Then i downloaded the Individual display driver for 11.8, installed it, and it worked w/ no error msg. After that, I ran the 11.8 Catalyst installation suite and custom installed everything else except for the display driver I already installed.

I think the fix could be to just install the individual display driver from AMDs site. Everything I did before that may not be necessary. When you go to download the Catalyst software suite, there is another tab on the site that lets you download individual components to install.

Thank you so very much for posting this. I just ran into the same problem and this was exactly what I needed to do to fix the issue.

Had the same issue earlier today when trying to install Cat 12.4's, none of this worked in this thread. Strange because any other Cat version would work except Cat 12.4. I ended restoring my image from Acronis and tried again and the Cat 12.4's installed fine after that.

That being said, this solution in this thread doesn't work for everyone for this issue.

It worked for me but I didn't have to reinstall over. Was enough just to go into device manager and update drivers from the 'AMD' folder..

Back