Driver has stopped responding - cool!

myndcrime

Gawd
So I "upgraded" (for free of course ;) ) to Vista 64

And my gaming experience has gone down the toilet

8800 gtx on the newest nvidia crapforce drivers, have to restart my computer every 1.5 hours because of this.

Will it ever be fixed? Does it happen on ATI cards?a

Are you running SP1? Do you have the latest chipset drivers?

There have been many Windows hotfixes released for instability in nVidia graphics, so check to make sure your patched up.

yes yes and yes

im going to get a 4870x2 if they're ever released but i fear Vista just = fail

im going to get a 4870x2 if they're ever released but i fear Vista just = fail
Actually ... funny thing ... this means that the drivers are screwy, or that there's something else borking your system.

I've got an 8800GT and Vista 64, and my system runs wonderfully. There's one game (Dreamfall) that occasionally crashes. Other than that, I can run it for hours without issue.

Don't assume it's Vista.

pretty sure it's not my system considering it worked perfectly on XP

and I've heard of it happening to people with both nvidia and ati cards. More so with nvidia. I've heard complaing since vista came out about this problem.

pretty sure it's not my system considering it worked perfectly on XP
Which is why the people above are blaming the drivers. They are different from the XP drivers, which, in any sound scientific reasoning, makes them a variable. Did you have SP1 on the system first, then the chipset drivers, then the Nvidia drivers?

Are you overclocking? After patching and SP1 Vista, I only get this problem when my memory clocks are too high. Core and shaders don't seem to affect it, but memory clocks do. FYI, if you have a factory OC card its default memory clocks may be too high. Try taking them down by 25-40MHz if you need stability.

Might want to provide us with some hard specs on your rig before we can make any meaningful suggestions.

Been running Vista 64 for about a year now. 8800 GTS to 8800GTX to 280GTX with no problems...I had the driver stopped responding problem on my laptop (Vista 32 bit 8800 mobile SLI) when I tried using some beta drivers with a hacked .ini file but it went away with official drivers...Sounds like a fooked windows or driver install..

And my gaming experience has gone down the toilet

8800 gtx on the newest nvidia crapforce drivers, have to restart my computer every 1.5 hours because of this.

Will it ever be fixed? Does it happen on ATI cards?a

Try these drivers: http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-ForceWare-177.66-Vista-(64-bit)-download-1992.html

They seemed to fix some crash problems I was having with older forceware drivers. All we can do is hope that nvidia fixes all its driver problems in Vista, there's nothing MS can do if the driver maker is slacking off.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1308961

You can kinda jump to the end but basically the driver not responding is generally the side effect, not the problem itself. In my case, swapping out my RAM and doing nothing else fixed it. RAM that I might add memtested just fine. Your fix may be different. Yes it happens on ATI cards as well because it's not card/driver/OS specific. In XP you just crash instead of reset.

I've ran both 8800GT and 4870 on Vista64 and had no performance issues. No driver crashes either.

Driver stopped responding can also be because of an overclock, it's more sensitive than XP was. It will protect it's self versus XP will let the OC crash the system.

no i dont overclock

and you guys dont even RTFT do you? i said it worked perfectly in xp. And I don't see how you can "fook" an os/driver install. Because there's a lot of room for error double clicking a file amirite?

seeing as the only variables here are 1)vista 2)vista drivers I don't see how you can say it's my RAM or something else stupid

no i dont overclock

and you guys dont even RTFT do you? i said it worked perfectly in xp. And I don't see how you can "fook" an os/driver install. Because there's a lot of room for error double clicking a file amirite?

seeing as the only variables here are 1)vista 2)vista drivers I don't see how you can say it's my RAM or something else stupid

Maybe because they know something you don't? Like the fact that a lot of people posting here and in general hardware have had ram that worked in XP but not in Vista, replaced the ram and it worked fine. This tells us that Vista is more sensitive to bad ram. Anyways, did you try the drivers I linked? Also you might want to try earlier drivers than the latest official ones. Trying different drivers is cheaper than replacing ram, so at least give it a try.

no i dont overclock

This problem happens with every combination of hardware, driver, and Windows operating system you can throw together. The sooner you start narrowing down your problem the sooner it'll be fixed.

Maybe because they know something you don't? Like the fact that a lot of people posting here and in general hardware have had ram that worked in XP but not in Vista, replaced the ram and it worked fine. This tells us that Vista is more sensitive to bad ram. Anyways, did you try the drivers I linked? Also you might want to try earlier drivers than the latest official ones. Trying different drivers is cheaper than replacing ram, so at least give it a try.

ill try those drivers if it gives me the error again.

no i dont overclock

I would say Vista Drivers. I haven't been pleased. After 10 years with ATI I bought an 8800 GTX. It's by far the most powerful card I've had, but with the problems I've had with their Vista drivers, I'll be returning ti ATI next time. The old x1900 xtx still runs great in another machine.

If that is how you feel than you should stop arguing with others who are making suggestions, close your thread down, and fix it yourself.

I know that sounds mean, but with any amount of troubleshooting computers, you'd soon learn that solutions and fixes aren't always blatantly obvious. I've had systems that would install XP fine and seemingly run stable. However, they'd fail left and right when trying to install Vista on the same PC. A quick memtest revealed bad memory. Different OSes hit the hardware differently. Different OSes use different areas of the memory. Different OSes have different subsystems that interact with hardware differently. I've had video cards that ran fine under one OS but would BSoD on another due to bad video memory. Had those cards RMA's and replaced, and the OEM agreed the video memory was bad.

You've tried the most common troubleshooting methods, so it obviously isn't something simple. It doesn't hurt to follow the suggestions others give, because chances are, on a forum this large, someone else has fought the same battle that you are engaged in now.

Besides, anyone who has lost their car keys before knows, you can check the obvious solutions first, but sometimes, they really are in the fridge.

1.) I have a 8k series G80 chip--the latest nvidia drivers, 177.40 for Vista x64, did NOT work at all for me. I was getting lock-ups and crashes with screensavers and video overalys (3d game or movie). I tried installing, reinstalling, uninstalling, wiping all nvidia registry entires and files, anything, everything--nothing worked for that driver, test after test.

I switched back to 169.25, and my system was as stable as a rock again. Simple as Π.

I'm not saying you should use 169.25, but have you tried different drivers? The latest does not always mean greatest for every card and every platform/configuration.

2.) If the above doesn't work, stop whining and run memtest--a few times.

no i dont overclock

You've never had an install of windows go bad? Lucky you...

I have bene running windoes vista x64 and a 8800GTX for about 6 motnhs now and I havent had 1 single dirver issue at all (not sure which driver version im using) but its been rock solid and no cplaint for me so make sure your dirvers arnt borked (install different version)

Back