• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Driver Cleaner related problem. Making me miffed.

Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
996
I knew I should never have bothered with this thing...

Anyway, no problems when I used it to go from my Geforce FX 5200 to
an ATI Radeon 9600XT.

Now, I was going back to a Geforce FX 5200 until my 6800LE arrives,
but I can't install the drivers and it's pissing me off.

Basically, I went through the whole Uninstall, reboot in safe mode,
run driver cleaner, turn off machine, install new card, boot up.

When I tried installing the drivers, though (latest version from Nvidia's site),
it would start installing fine, but during installation it the screen would go
black a couple times and like the second or third time, I'd get an error:

73.8KHZ/164.4Hz Frequency Out of Range, Try other Resolutions

Well, that's all fine and well, but I can't do any of that with a black screen
and the above error flashing on screen every 10 seconds or so.

So, I reboot. Of course, there's no video drivers installed since it didn't complete,
so I can't change ANYTHING in the resolution or refresh rate tabs.

After a BUNCH of reboots, uninstalls, reinstall in safe mode, frustration,
try reinstall the drivers through the control panel....and there it was.
I tested it a couple times to make sure, but that's what it was.

EVERY time the drivers would get to the "nvwsapps.cfg" is when the screen
would go black (I assume it's testing the available settings) and give me the
"frequency out of range" error.

SO, anyone have any idea what I can do?

By the way, I've tried restoring the files from the Driver Cleaner backsups,
but it didn't help anything (though I didn't do the registry restore).

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

:edit:

Oh yeah. Right now I'm stuck at 800x600 on my nice 19" monitor.
This sucks! :mad:
 
Did you try the latest Windows XP backup restore? If everything you tried has failed, format/reinstall the OS.
 
Yeah, I'm not ready for the ULTIMATUM of reformat/reinstall.

Unless someone else give me a solution, though, I am gonna
get rid of the apparently crap program known as Driver Cleaner.
 
It isn't Driver Cleaner that's causing this. I just know it. Other than that, I'm not sure, you probably are having a bad luck. Try reformatting anyway. Sorry dude =\
 
Press F8 during boot-up
Select "VGA Mode"
That should set the resolution to 800x600 and the refresh rate to 60Hz

Terra...
 
Terra said:
Press F8 during boot-up
Select "VGA Mode"
That should set the resolution to 800x600 and the refresh rate to 60Hz

Terra...

Or do what he said if you haven't reformatted yet
 
Terra said:
Press F8 during boot-up
Select "VGA Mode"
That should set the resolution to 800x600 and the refresh rate to 60Hz

Terra...

That seems to be the resolution and refresh rate I've been running at.

But I gave it a try anyway, and it set me to 640x480, unsure of the refresh rate.

Still didn't help though. Reinstalling the drivers gives me that error message
at the same point.


:confused:
 
Just revert back to a restore point which WinXP sets (should set) daily... just go back to before you started having the problem... programs --> accessories --> system tools --> system restore. This is safe, and does not reload the OS, it just brings the registry, all windows apps, and drivers (even your desktop arrangement) back to the exact way it was when the restore point was set. It's actually very cool.

It sounds like you have a stuck registry value which is pushing your screen res out of your monitor's range... system restore would be perfect for getting around this.
 
Terra said:
What is your monitor recognized as?
Plug and play?

Terra...

"Default Monitor" actually.

I even tried "installing" the .inf for my monitor, but it still just shows up
as default.
 
rfwinters77 said:
"Default Monitor" actually.

I even tried "installing" the .inf for my monitor, but it still just shows up
as default.

Try installing it like a "plug and play" monitor

Terra...
 
Can't find anyway to do that.

When I'm in the display properties, under the monitor tab, none of
the options are changeable.
Monitor also doesn't show up in device manager or the add hardware
wizard.
 
Bad driver download? Try getting the drivers from a different site or reload them of NVs site.
 
Well, looks like the drivers got installed now.

Though I still got that error and had to reboot during the installation.

Still having problems though.

Now, it shows the whole "Geforce FX5200 on plug and play monitor"
and "Geforce FX5200 on default monitor" for my TV/s-video out.

But, when I try to change the refresh rate: Bam! Out of range error.
Since the error mentioned Resolutions, I reset the computer and
go into "Last good configuration" mode, and try changing the
resolution first: Bam! Out of range error.

Now, when I've done this, windows re-detects the video card both
times. Should I try a normal reboot first?

Guess it's worth a shot.

System restore didn't seem to help much...except it deleted
something from my desktop. :mad:
 
huh - well I did say that it takes your apps and desktop back to the way they were when the restore point was created... being mindful of what you have added since then is implied, but sorry I didn't state that overtly...

At any rate - I have heard of crazy and persistent issues like this when moving from radeon cards to geforce cards... did you use the driver cleaner to clean the entire ATI driver suite out? Have you made sure all ATI refs are gone and removed from your registry? That could be the issue... it's possible..
 
I don't think my only problem was video related.

I finally broke down and did a clean reformat/reinstall of Windows.

When I went to install SP2, after it rebooted it just hung there for
a long time, so I rebooted it and it didn't boot up right. So, I removed
SP2 and it's rebooted just fine since then. (I was having the same/similar
not-booting all the way type error before the clean install).

I think the hanging at boot is related to Mup.sys (if you google it,
you'll be amazed at how common this problem is with SP2 installed)


Anyway, when I went to install the drivers, I got that same "out of range" error! :mad:

So, on a clean install, I'm still getting that error. Could the video card be
"partially" damaged? I mean, it's running fine at 800x600 @ 60Hz (though
it's rotting my eyes out of my head :( ).

I hope it not my AGP slot or something. I have a 6800LE on the way.
Hopefully when I install that, these problems will go away.
 
Got my new card installed and it's working great. :)

I *think* I figured out what might have played a part in the
errors and problems I was having.

After I used drivercleaner to go from the 9600XT back to
a FX5200, after I installed the new card, I plugged in
the s-video cable that attaches to my tv before installing
any drivers.

I thought about that when I was installing my 6800LE and
left that cable unplugged.

Not sure if it *did* have anything to do with it before, but
my system is just fine now.

Of course, I'm still not going to reinstall SP2 because of
the other reason I mentioned.
 
Damn, so I guess that your card was a bit defective or something. You still should RMA it, get a new one and have it as backup.
 
rfwinters77 said:
Of course, I'm still not going to reinstall SP2 because of
the other reason I mentioned.

Glad to hear you found a solutiin, howevr not running SP" is leaving your PC very open to attacks/expolits...

Terra - I have personally never had any problems with SP2...
 
wow - I was very temped to say "bad card" but I guess you found out by singling out everything... :eek: Well - at least it's done now. :)
 
Yep. Got my 6800LE today.

Both masked vertex shaders and one of the two masked pixel pipelines
were able to be unlocked. :D

I've never messed with manual overclocking, so I'm hesitant messing with that
and Nvidia's auto-detect thing is only upping core and memory by a rather
small amount.
 
That's great!! the "auto OC" feature will generally stop when one of the thresholds has been met (for core or mem) so I had bet your mem is not going to OC as well as your core on that card... so if you want to push it more, you can try bumping your core (only) up in incriments of 5mhz then run "test settings" until it does not pass, then back it off by 5mhz and fire up some games... anyways... glad you got your system up again!! :D
 
Back
Top