Drivebender is out

benogil

Limp Gawd
Drivebender, the pooling storage software for Win XP through Win Storage Server is now out of beta, in full release. One caveat, it doesn't have VSS capability ( yet ), and cannot be used to backup the server of WHS2. Early reports show no problem with up to 5 simultaneous movie streams, although this will be impacted if you are doing data transfers at the same time.

it costs 40 bucks more than i thought it would and thats there special limited time sale, or so they say i was thinking it would be like 20-25

I believe it is $20 for beta-testers, but the regular price I see is $40.

FWIW, WHS 2011's $50 + Drive Bender's $40 still puts it under WHS v1's OEM price of $100.

FWIW, WHS 2011's $50 + Drive Bender's $40 still puts it under WHS v1's OEM price of $100.

ya i know i was thinking that as well, just seems like it should be a lil cheaper is all but oh well i guess lol

At least it has a free trial, so you can see for yourself if it has a $40 value.

Has anyone taken Driver Bender for a serious trip? Is it considered "safe" for production use yet? Is WHS2011 finally where it should have been from the start?

Has anyone taken Driver Bender for a serious trip? Is it considered "safe" for production use yet? Is WHS2011 finally where it should have been from the start?

I've been keeping a pretty strong eye on drivebender and haven't heard any "bad things" since they went final beta. However, the amount of signal available vs noise (e.g. the WHS2011 install base is small) isn't great either. With the recent HDD shortage it will give me more time to watch and see what happens.

Ok [H]ard people, has anyone taken the plunge with Drivebender?

I'm re-doing my WHS with new hardware in about 2 weeks and have had my WHS 2011 copy gathering dust. I know Microsoft has announced Storage Spaces but that's not out yet and I'm not keen to be on the bleeding edge of it.

So I'm considering upgrading from v1 to 2011 and using DB. The DB forums seem like the product works, but of course they would.

Most of the feedback I see has been positive, with a few caveats. NFS does not work on any of the DE's, and for some, that is a deal braker. Also, share permissions, when you select homegroup as opposed to just shares were causing problems. Transfer speeds may also be a problem.

I am using DB in my both servers.. i am have been happy with it! uptimes are great and using db is great.. + customer service is totally great! atleast was for me :)

Is it capable of "installing" on existing WHS2011 setups w/o a complete rebuild?
Do we know if NFS is being worked on?
Any decent benches across Gigabit?

Back