Drive Starting To Click, Wanting Replacement.

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
i have a .5 TB Drive, and about 1 TB of data

i should probably buy a replacement. so far SMART yields no errors, but the drive is clicky during use.
i can support raid and SATA 6 (asus P6x58d-e, win7 64). im wanting a 2 TB drive, but i suck at shopping. and i figure all the drives are going to get cheaper come black friday.

so im torn between two 1.5TB or 1TB for mirroring, or just one big 2TB, i dont know if i should get green, or black, or blue, or wd or seagate.

wanting reliable, wanting not hot, wanting quiet -but not at the cost of way slower. energy efficiency shouldnt matter.

all data is video, written once, and read only from that point on.

oh also, any special formatting/optimization i should do, smallest files will be 350MB, most files (by size) will be atleast a gig.

Last edited:
Presumably you mean a 1.5 TB drive. You don't mention what brand/model. Some drives are noisier than others. As for the list of wants, the eternal rule applies: 'good, fast, cheap, pick two'. Yes, as the 3TB drives ship it's likely the 2TB drives will see price changes. Possibly priced effectively for you to consider setting up a mirror to avoid losing data on the sole drive.

Back