drive missing? help please

I was trying out a small raid card i had. hoping to simply add more drives. I had no interest in raiding anything really.

So I have a WD 500gb drive with some data on it. so I plug it into the raid card, boot up the computer and the drive comes up as inactive.

the card never had time to format. at least not well. so I know the data is there still. I put it back on a mobo plug and restarted. same issue

The drive waits to be initialized and then of course I must format a new partition

Does anyone know a program I can use to simple reinitialize the original letter to see the data. or recover it?

Thanks
Shawn

wd5000AAKS
its a silicone image raid card. 4 port. just a cheap one off ebay I had hoped to use for adding some ports. apparantly it wont save data though

and i use windows home server

It sounds like the card 'initialized' the drive by re-writing the partition and wiped the disk essentially.

I would recommend trying a partition recovery tool, Google is your friend in finding one that you like. (I sometimes base my decision on how well designed the apps are from their screenshots)

Obviously a paid-app over a cheapy freeware app may render better results. Just ensure that you do not make *any* changes to the disk before attempting recovery, as that could hinder your efforts to retain the partition/data.

Thank you thats exactly what i needed

I was looking for data recovery. never even thought to look for partition recovery.

took 2 minutes and a reboot and the drives back :)

Thank you

Fan-freakin-tastic!
Glad to hear it went so smoothly, would you mind citing the tool(s) you used for others who may happen into the same scenario?

Thanks!

P.S. - boy do you have good luck, some controllers (I know some 3ware's) wipe the disk from top to bottom with 0's to prepare them for a RAID array. Happy to hear you have your data safely back in tow.

sure i used testdisk-6.11.3

its command lined based and pretty straight forward, free and quick

Back