I had Windows XP Pro installed on my laptop, then I used Partition Magic to convert some free space into a new partition. I installed Linspire on the new partition, allowing it to configure GRUB for dual-booting. This worked fine, but I decided that I didn't want Linspire anymore, so I formatted that partition from within Windows and rebooted. I used the recovery console on the WinXP cd to run fixboot and fixmbr, then restarted. This worked in my testing of other various Linux distros, but this time I got an error: "NTLDR is missing"
I did some Googling and searching here, but I found nothing that helped with my situation. After some looking around I discovered that the driver letters for the two partitions had been switched somehow. In Windows, before I restarted, the Windows partition was C: and the newly reformatted smaller partition was E:. When I log into the recovery console the Windows install partition is shown as E:/ and the new, empty partition is C:/. Buh?
I've looked everywhere for a way to change the drive letters back to what they should be, but I haven't had any luck. The DISKPART command seemed the most likely solution, but the description in Microsoft's support documentation is apparently for a completely different program, since almost none of the features listed are available from the recovery console.
Does anyone know how I can fix the drive letters? Thanks.
I did some Googling and searching here, but I found nothing that helped with my situation. After some looking around I discovered that the driver letters for the two partitions had been switched somehow. In Windows, before I restarted, the Windows partition was C: and the newly reformatted smaller partition was E:. When I log into the recovery console the Windows install partition is shown as E:/ and the new, empty partition is C:/. Buh?
I've looked everywhere for a way to change the drive letters back to what they should be, but I haven't had any luck. The DISKPART command seemed the most likely solution, but the description in Microsoft's support documentation is apparently for a completely different program, since almost none of the features listed are available from the recovery console.
Does anyone know how I can fix the drive letters? Thanks.