Drive Letters and Reformating

Sonique

Weaksauce
I recently zeroed my system drive and when i came back to reformat I found that my system drive letter swapped from c to f, and my other hd took the letter C.
i thought i could try the registry hack but obviously it didnt work.
When I reformat, it automatically assigns the other hd to c. I was wondering what would happen if I was to unplug my slave drive and then reformat the master and then plug the slave back in.
will it cause any problems?

As long as there aren't any paths to applications on the slave it will be fine (ie: it's just storage). I do this everytime i reinstall Windows. Just one extra step i take to not format my storage drive (did that on accident once and it won't ever happen again ;) ).

If I had a dollar for every person who didn't bother to pay attention during the XP install and do this, I'd make Bill Gates jealous.

Anyhoo, the best thing to do when reformatting, is to disconnect the power cable to the storage drive until you get XP install and running.

djnes said:
If I had a dollar for every person who didn't bother to pay attention during the XP install and do this, I'd make Bill Gates jealous.

I want 1/2

Back