• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Drive is not formatted should windows format...

awdark

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,633
I have encountered this error a few times already.

I somehow disconnect or move the drive to a different computer and windows would no longer be able to read from the disk. Oh and if I install windows and I even let the windows installer LOOK at my disk it will corrupt it so that I can no longer read from it.

It would give me the error, The drive is not formatted would you like windows to format the drive now.

Previously I would let programs like recover my files and stuff go through the drive to read and recover some of my data... Is there a proper way of fixing it? This process is time consuming, rarely recovers all my files and just annoys me. Im assuming that I somehow corrupted the FAT. I have read about Linux and stuff being able to fix all that easily but I honestly don't know how to use it and wouldn't mind learning.

The current drive with that problem is a WD 80gb, formatted with NTFS, single partition.
 
How did you format the drive to begin with?
Sometimes when you format the drive as an external and then plug it directly into the computer as an internal drive windows will not recognise it. I have found that if it was formated internal to the computer through windows it works in all external drives, but if you move an external to an internal it only works like 70 percent of the time (the percentages are not actual accurate representations).
 
Well for this drive it was the primary drive, I shifted it to secondary to use my new 200gb as primary.

Do you know of any easy fixes or is the long recovery method the only way? :(
 
Back
Top