• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Drive imaging - How to?

kent

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 8, 2001
Messages
2,603
I'm building a computer for a friend and once I get his OS/Updates/Office Suite/etc installed I want to burn him a couple of recovery DVDs because he won't know how to install drivers/service packs if he needs to do it himself.

What's the best and cheapest way to go about doing this? I'll buy a simple program if I need to but something freeware and non-Ghostish might be nice. I downloaded an Eval of Ghost but it seemed really complicated.

Basically I just need something that will make a 1:1 copy of the hard drive and either let me burn the DVDs from there, or create 4.3GB chunk'd ISOs that I can burn from another application.

Thanks
 
I've used Acronis TrueImage to do this recently. I built a new HTPC with an old and extremely loud 15GB drive and spent much time getting everything setup and tweaked as i needed.. Then made an image of it. When the newer/quieter 250GB drive arrived, i just popped it in and restored the image.

The install was about 6-7GB which was compressed down to 3.5GB by acronis. So I could have made a DVD with this image, although I did not (stored it on a CIFS share instead).
 
I had forgotten I downloaded True Image 7 when it was free (anandtech HD forums)

Anyways, I was playing around with it and it looks easy to use.
 
Back
Top