Drive Goes INto Standby.....Never Saw This Before

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently upgraded to a Raptor as my main drive for the OS and games. My original setup was two WD80JB's in a RAID 0, with an additional WD160JB as storage for video work/large files, image backups.

Once I upgraded to the Raptor, I put an image of the C drive, and an image of the Games partition on it. Tried to set things up by having the Raptor on SATA-1, the array on SATA 3-4, and te WD160 on SATA 5. On my mobo, SATA 1 & 2 are on chip, and is the Intel variety. The RAID on SATA 3 & 4 is Silicon Image. SATA 5 & 6 are not tied to RAID (I don't think, anyway).

Well, the comptuer didn't like it for some reason, so I had to leave the array on SATA 1 & 2 ,and my Raptor on SATA 3 and the WD 160 on SATA 4. Needless to say this complicates things, as the OS should be located on the first patition of the first hard disk in the system.

Anyway, after I got everything set up, I notice that I would get some lag at times after a period of inactivity, when I would want to visit a web site, or do anything, the mouse pointer freezes and I hear the drive power up, click, and come back to life, then the mouse is unfrozen and I continue on with what I was doing.

Just wondering if that was normal, because in my old setup I never experienced that.

:D

It's not normal unless you set it that way.

Check the 'Power' control panel and see if you are somehow using a weird profile, or your drives are set to spin down in the always on profile.

Also check your Power Management settings in your BIOS.

Sometimes these things are right under your nose........ Thanks for the reply. For some reason, the HDD's were set to turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

I set it to 2 hours, with monitors off after 25 minutes, and no standby.

Back