- Joined
- Jul 11, 2001
- Messages
- 12,828
http://gotnorice.dynu.com/smarterror.JPG
I checked my fileserver one day (I dont usually have a monitor attached) and found a bios warning about a smart error. I ran the western digital diagnostics and it came up with the info in the above picture. I ran the extended test, and it found and fixed some bad sectors. The drive seems to be working just fine, and worked just fine as I copied all 400 gigabytes onto other hard drives just in case (its in Raid-0 with another 200 gig drive). The smart status seems to indicate that the drive is currently okay, but that it had previously failed one of the tests. My server did have to suffer through an unusually rough ride to and from a LANparty in my younger brothers truck, and Im thinking maybe that is the source of the problem?
I guess the question is, should I try to RMA it or should I wait and see if more problems crop up? Is there any chance that this was just a one time thing and not an indication of a dieing drive?
I had a 40Gb western digital that started showind bad blocks ~3 years ago, but once I repaired them, it worked fine and still works fine.
I checked my fileserver one day (I dont usually have a monitor attached) and found a bios warning about a smart error. I ran the western digital diagnostics and it came up with the info in the above picture. I ran the extended test, and it found and fixed some bad sectors. The drive seems to be working just fine, and worked just fine as I copied all 400 gigabytes onto other hard drives just in case (its in Raid-0 with another 200 gig drive). The smart status seems to indicate that the drive is currently okay, but that it had previously failed one of the tests. My server did have to suffer through an unusually rough ride to and from a LANparty in my younger brothers truck, and Im thinking maybe that is the source of the problem?
I guess the question is, should I try to RMA it or should I wait and see if more problems crop up? Is there any chance that this was just a one time thing and not an indication of a dieing drive?
I had a 40Gb western digital that started showind bad blocks ~3 years ago, but once I repaired them, it worked fine and still works fine.