Drive Designation

fatpirate

n00b
I recently installed XP Pro on a new build (Raptor 150g) and it designated F.

Is this a problem? Is there anyway to change it to C:? I am going to be installing Vista as a clean install later so I don't think it is too big a deal but I am curious why that would have happened and how to change it.

Windows is a peculiar beast sometimes, and most likely this happened if you merely performed a clean install on a partition already defined - you just reformatted it during the installation.

The best way to ensure you get the drive letters in order is to either use the XP installer to remove and recreate all of them or whichever setup you like - guaranteeing you get the drive letters proper - or using a third party tool to remove all partitions from the drive prior to running the XP installer by booting off the XP CD.

This happens sometimes, and while there is an iffy method of changing the system drive letter, your best bet - since you just did a clean install - is to start over again and get rid of the partitions on the drive during the installation, recreate them and go from there.

it happens if you have other drives connected when you installed the os. Make sure to have just the boot drive/s going and it will default to C: next time.

I go so far as to delete all partitions before installing, let XP create only the partition it will be installed to, then create any other partitions after it's installed. I can't stand when they screw around with drive letters and system files and crap.

-bZj

Back