Drilling case for motherboard.

Defective

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 2 projects where both cases will have to be drilled to mount an ATX board. Are you guys using a diagram that you found somewhere or are you just marking it from the mobo itself. I can probably just mark through the holes in the board but I was hoping to get a diagram so I can get the holes dead on.

One project is a custom case that someone had made to mount some sort of board, not ATX or even AT, for an industrial application. I am setting it up to house a P2 that is going to run IPCop to replace my router, that has been giving me problems, and my DSL modem with the top off of it so it will benefit from the airflow inside the case.

The other one I am not going to start until I decide to either mod and old stereo from Goodwill or something, or an old Packard Bell desktop case (Standard custom Pac Bell POS mobo housing a 486) to fit an ATX board for an HTPC.

Many people use the mark holes using a mobo as a template. One thing you may want to do if doing this is insert 3 standoffs through the mobo upside down. Basically have the threaded part of the standoff come through the mobo hole from the bottom then secure it with a 6/32 nut. This will let you use PCI cards and whatnot if lining things up with a backplane.

After placing the mobo in the case where it will be standing on the 3 standoffs you installed, use about a 2" or longer 6/32 bolt to mark where the holes will go. If you put a light dab of paint on the end of the bolt, you can lower it into the hole to mark your spot. The end of the bolts is usually concave so you actually end up with a small circle for the paint mark. Drill and tap a 6/32 hole in the middle, screw in your risers and you are good to go. After you get the first few risers installed, you can go back and mark where the 3 were that you had inverted on the mobo initially.

Back