Drilled through Radiator - Fixable?

alphakry

Limp Gawd
So i have a Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 120 Radiator that I used the wrong screws on and accidentally threaded too far into the radiator and ruptured it, causing a leak

Is this repairable or is the radiator done for?

Since it's toast at this point, you should try filling it with JB weld. You've got a pretty good chance of it recovering, I've known people to do it before. I'd let it set up for a day and then test it for a week for leaks before I put it back into my machine. Also, make sure you use the kind that comes in 2 tubes, not the stick/putty kind.

i actually have taken apart my setup - so at this point i'm just trying to determine if it's worth putting up for sale or just throwing out.

Seconding JB Weld. I've never drilled through a radiator, but others that have on other forums have said JB Weld fixed it right up. It's better to try that stuff than throw away a radiator that could be perfectly fine if fixed.

Its fixable...and decent radiator shop can repair the leak.....
you can do it also if you know how to solder/braze and have the right equipment.

if its worth it only you can say...
I would expect to pay about $30.00 to have it repaired.

x2 to crosshairs post.

you can probably fix it yourself with solder but if it were me, I'd go to a radiator shop and have it fixed professionally. Imagine coming home to find a mess all over your computer if a home-fix didn't take care of it? The small fee would be worth the peace of mind

i have had a black ice rad repaired at a rad shop before. it cost a bit, but they fixed it quick and easy.

Since it's toast at this point, you should try filling it with JB weld. You've got a pretty good chance of it recovering, I've known people to do it before. I'd let it set up for a day and then test it for a week for leaks before I put it back into my machine. Also, make sure you use the kind that comes in 2 tubes, not the stick/putty kind.

Yep. I did the same exact idiotic thing with my first radiator. I slathered JB Weld into the hole and it fixed the problem. The radiator worked fine until I replaced it with a Thermochill many months down the road.

I think I used the quickcure kind. I did however stick it in my car for several hours in the Arizona summer sun to help speed up the process.

You could also pickup a heatercore to replace it if you can't fix it with JB Weld. It's a cheap radiator alternative that you can find at most local car part shops. Or just buy a cheap used one to replace it. The JB Weld should work though.

Back